Tentative Cooperation Part 3

Charlotte

I glared at the inside of the burlap sack as I was tied to a chair God-knows-where. So much for a trip to the farmer's market on the south side of the city. I didn't need the good fruit anyway. Walmart was just fine.

I heard shuffling to the left of me, and then was abruptly bathed in light as the sack was removed. Things were a tad blurry due to losing my glasses when they knocked me out, but I could make out most of the room, and the two men in it.

"Care to explain why you've just kidnapped me?" I snapped the second they removed my gag. Instead of an answer, I received a swift slap to the cheek that had me shutting up, but never losing my glare.

"We know a spy when we see one," someone said, and I focused my gaze on one of the men from the group I overheard at Solstice.

"I am not a spy just because I happened to be there when you all marched outside," I said indignantly. "Whatever you all think I overheard at Solstice was nothing. I don't even remember it, and I've been cleared!"

"This isn't about Solstice, deary," he told me with a grin. "This is about your boyfriend putting you up to spy on us."

"My boyfriend?" I asked, a fresh wave of confusion hitting me. "I don't have a boyfriend."

"Don't lie," he sneered. "We know the truth."

"I mean, I don't think I have a boyfriend, but if I'm wrong, this is a nice surprise!"

He slapped me again, and I bit at his hand.

"Don't do that again," he warned, and I rolled my eyes. "Care to explain this?"

I watched as he slid a hand into his jacket and pulled out a picture. When he held it in front of my face, I lifted an eyebrow.

"So hugging someone automatically implies dating status?" I asked, peering at the man over the photo of Arsen and I on the Fourth of July. It was actually an annoyingly romantic picture, with rain falling around us and the brick building behind us, but I wouldn't let that distract me. "You know, I haven't even seen him since then."

"It looked more than friendly," he jabbed. I wish it was.

"I was having a rough day, and he was comforting me. Next?"

"Your mouth will get you in trouble."

"If I had a nickel for every time I..." I trailed off when he lifted his hand again.

Another man, the one who pulled the sack off my head, laughed to my right.

"Shut up, Bryce," the one questioning me commanded, and with the name, I realized I knew the other man.

"How's the flame serpent sleeve healing up?" I asked, and they both froze.

"Ha, uh," Bryce said uncomfortably, before glancing over. "I told you I knew her, Lyle."

Lyle. So that's the asshole questioning me.

"You didn't tell me she was your tattoo artist," Lyle seethed. "That doesn't make her innocent. Those dogs could have sent her thinking we wouldn't recognize her. Try and find out who we're..." He trailed off to glare at me.

"If by 'dogs,' you mean the Volkovs, then no. They didn't send me to do shit. I was literally just in town to buy some goddamn peaches from the farmer's market!"

Something I said made him pause, and he took a step back.

"One moment. I'm going to make a call."

He walked briskly across the room, a small, brightly-lit office in some sort of warehouse, and slipped out the door. I watched through the room's window as he dialed a phone number, before looking back to Bryce.