Chapter 16: The Letter

I wake up with less pain, but the same mixed feelings as yesterday.

My mother used to say to listen to my instincts when something is unclear. And, as far as I can tell, my instincts tell me to run and start a life somewhere else.

The only reason why I haven't left yet is I was trying to make sure that this is the best decision. I'm still not sure, but not doing anything is still a choice.

So, for the rest of the day, I've been plotting my departure. I can't be too obvious and I need to somehow send Charlie a message to ask her not to look for me. It'll have to be convincing enough.

A letter! That will do.

Another aspect to consider is where I'm going to stay. Unfortunately, the Radio Demon knows about my forest and the remaining of my house. I can't go back there for the time being. If there'll be a search party for me for some reason, that area would be the first one to inspect.

I hate that I'll have to abandon it. I am not even sure for how long. Some years might be necessary for every demon that interacted with me in the past few days to forget about me. Which means I have to find a new home.

I search on my hellphone for the Pride Ring map. It seems there are some mountains somewhere in the southwest of Pentagram City, quite far from the awful city. I could lay low there for a couple of months.

It doesn't sound ideal, a life of a nomad, but for the past eleven years, I've lived like this. When I escaped home, I had to travel around Europe to erase the trace of the girl I was. I had to change identities, homes, countries, and languages.

It wasn't the worst life, having the chance to explore so many cultures. It was free, independent, and fulfilling. It's true that it was lonely as well, and sometimes I had mental breakdowns, not seeing any reason to live anymore if there was no one to remember me.

That was until I met Fleur. With her life somehow bloomed. We were strangers, me a huntress, and she the daughter of the chef I used to sell my venison to. The circumstance brought us together as friends, and then the best of friends, something I've lacked my entire life. I don't know when or where I realized that what I felt wasn't for a best friend, not having any experience in friendships, but one time she kissed me and... I liked kissing her back.

The worst part of her incredible memory is that I don't remember the last time I saw her. We were still together when I died, I know that for sure. But I remember almost nothing about my death. Was she in our cottage? Was she waiting for me to arrive home? Did she find me dead under the night sky?

It doesn't matter, I tell myself. She lived and I didn't. I can't reach her. And, if she...

No. She didn't die. But if she did... She'd be in Heaven one hundred per cent.

I look out the window, where the Pentagram Star shines above the horrible black buildings. I hope she is well, wherever she is.

I finish packing my few possessions and teleport downstairs. I checked if there was anyone there before I appeared in the hallway. With the letter for Charlie in my hands, I walk towards the bar. But, before I let it sit on the counter, I hear someone opening the big entrance doors.