Chapter 15: The Deal

I groan, from pain and the sight of him. I torturously stand up, feeling that I might fall any minute now, but I can't stand him looking down at me.

Still, I can't improve the situation too much, as he's more than one foot taller than me.

"Whatever you're about to say, I'm not interested," I tell him.

"Hahaha! I wouldn't be so sure, darling!" he smiles pleasantly. "Do not lose such an opportunity just for ill will!"

"I simply don't want to waste anyone's time," I smile politely. "I know my answer."

"You haven't heard what I can offer you!" he leans his head on one side.

"I don't have to," I say the words on the top of my lips.

He walks around me as if studying a sculpture. I feel as exposed under his eyes as I felt under Valentino's, but it's a different kind of surveying. A deeper one.

"There's so much potential for you!" he speaks in what is meant to be an alluring way. "So much raw power. Such determination. And above all, such empathy! So rare down here, that is more valuable than any coin!"

"I understand that the concept is foreign to you," I opine. "Something you can't comprehend might be taunting you, indeed."

"Oh, but I do not have to be empathic to know how it works," he appears in front of me. "It is quite predictable, dear. Take the burdens of someone else, even if they put you in danger. You'd do that for poor Angel who you've known for, what, a few days? I wonder ... What would you do for the other hotel's residents?"

"I can answer that in your case," I smile sweetly. "Nothing."

"Ah, but what about Charlie? You may not believe in her absurd cause, but you admire her. For being like you, especially down here. You wouldn't let her simply suffer and die."

"What do you want?" I grit my teeth with a smile. I've grown impatient with him telling me what I would do.

"You have power. You have ambition. But you lack skill. You stupidly fought two Overlords and barely escaped by sheer luck. But it won't be like this anymore. They won't underestimate you anymore. They'll finish what they started."

"You mean Valentino or yourself?" I ask him annoyed. "Is that why you're here? Kill me and savor your victory before him?"

"No no no, darling!" he chuckles pleasingly, his mic laughing as well. "I'm here to offer my help! For you to learn how to use your powers!"

I stare at him thunderstruck. For all I've witnessed and know about him, this would be the last thing he'd do.

Wouldn't it, though? Didn't he offer his help to the hotel as well?