Chapter 14: The next steps

I wake up and see a sky full of angels. I wonder if I double-died and went to Heaven this time. Is that even possible? Has all of this been a dream from the start?

I try to move and feel if I still have a body, but everything hurts. I guess pain means body.

Nothing's been a dream. The sky of angels is my bedroom's ceiling. I'm in my bedroom.

I try to look down and see my wounds, but my body is covered by the blanket. I painfully raise a hand to touch the area above them and check how much they healed. A painful response reports that there's going to be a long recovery.

Stupid healing superpowers! Right when I need them, they leave me.

I try to stand up and groan.

"Don't move!"

The voice scared me so much that the flinch hurt. I look around and see Charlie, standing on my right.

"You still have to heal," she mentions the obvious. "I can't believe you woke up so soon!"

"How much time did it pass?" my voice is weak.

"It's the next morning," she answers.

"Oh, ok." I close my eyes, relieved. At least I wasn't unconscious for too much time.

I move slightly to test the pain in my wounds. I should have recovered by now, at least halfway through. Yet, it doesn't feel much better than yesterday.

"Why ... Why didn't I heal already?"

"I guess that Valentino may have used a holy knife. Not too holy," she adds quickly. "The kind of knife that is used in religious ceremonies on Earth. Still, enough power to poison and kill the majority of demons."

"Oh ..." I sigh, closing my eyes. "Good."

"Can I ask you something, Diana?"

I look at the Princess. She regards me with curiosity and worry at the same time.

"Ask away."

"Do you possess other powers? Besides quick healing?"

I study her for a couple of seconds before replying: "Didn't Alastor tell you?"

"Alastor knows?" she looks at me confused.

"I thought ... I thought that he would tell you everything regarding the hotel."

"That would be a wild guess," she smiles feebly. "If there is one thing you should know about that demon is that he acts in his best interest. Telling me such information would only cheapen its value."

"I guess you're right," I smile amused.

The silence afterwards pressures me. I don't know what to tell, what to reveal. There are already lots of strangers who know a split of my powers. Well... a split of what I know about them. It's dangerous to confide with this kind of information.