Chapter 2: The Realization

Warnings: blood; rape; violence; death

The forest led to the outskirts of a town. I see I am at a dead end of a short street full of houses. There are no people. The buildings look as if abandoned, but they're not dusty. Plus, I smell the living.

I have to be careful from now on. I don't know these people, if they heard about me. About what happened.

I sneak behind fences, looking for anything useful. After a few paces, I see on the ground a big triangular shard. I take it, cutting myself by mistake in the process. I try to look at my reflection.

Everything I feared came to reality. My face is a combination between my human one and a wolf's. I see my hair is still the same mundane color I had before: dark brown with lighter brown at the tips. The only human aspect about my appearance. It hardly looks well on my gray face.

However, the thing that shall create me nightmares from now on is something else entirely. The white part of my eyes is pitch black and my pupils are light blue. I am terrified of myself right now, yet my eyes look back at me as if they plan my murder.

I drop the shard and it breaks at my feet. My boots are shredded and long claws come out. Now, they're red from my blood.

I have to stop bleeding so much!

The scent of blood is circling me, giving me nausea. I've never particularly enjoyed blood, yet I was never against spilling it if it meant my survival. However, now I have to cover my smell or else others shall arrive, others that might have the same incredible smelling senses as myself.

I rip half of my T-shirt with my claws and wrap my left hand in it. As for my lip wound, I can't do anything yet.

I keep on sneaking on the street, studying each of the houses. There's literally nobody. No rest of food too. I can get in one of the houses maybe, and see if it has at least a sink with water as I already feel thirsty.

Yes, this is the plan.

I choose a house based on my rapid analysis of it and walk slowly to it, eyes and ears everywhere. It is horribly silent nearby, with only a buzz from distance.

I grab the handle and see if it's locked. But, as I suspected, it's not.

How did I know it?

I unhurriedly open the door, already sniffing for someone. I look around. It, surprisingly, looks like a regular house. Living room on the right, stairs on the left, kitchen in front.

I walk into the kitchen and go for the sink. I let the water flow, watching. I expected it to be brown, red, green. Whatever color. But it looks regular. Normal. Suspicious.