Chapter 6: The shopping sesh

We gave up on holding arms. We just stroll on the streets of Hell. I sometimes throw glances at Angel and marvel. He's quite attractive for a demon, with his freckles and shiny fur. His carefreeness only boosts it.

I feel like I should say something, anything, as we walked quite long in silence. But I don't know what. I'm always awkward about chatting.

"So," he seems as if he read my mind, "how long have you been down here?"

"A year," I bluntly respond. Then, to pull the strings of a conversation, I continue: "Actually, it's my first year anniversary."

"Really?" he wonders. "You're the youngest one so far. Vaggie came here some years ago."

"Yeah..."

Another moment of uncomfortable silence passes before I say: "I... am quite new, as in I don't know a lot of demons."

"Don't worry, babe, I don't know lots of demons either," he shrugs. "Well, I meet lots of demons, but I don't know them, as per se."

"I think I recognize you from some posters," I mention. "Ads with you are all over the city."

"Yeah, well, as I said, I'm quite famous," he winks at one Imp on the other side of the street.

"Right. Uhm..." I think of a quick question, "what's Cherry Bomb?"

I thought it was a kind of juice with cherries, but Angel suddenly giggles.

"Not a what, toots. Who. She's my girl bestie. She runs a territory not far from here. She's the best at blowing shit up."

"I suppose that's really exciting to have in a friend."

"We hang out sometimes, exploding buildings or fuck people up, but it's not the same as it was."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I'm staying at this hotel, don't I? I have to behave..." he sighs, rolling his eyes.

"Is Charlie punishing you if you do something bad?" I ask him.

I expect an answer, but he starts laughing heartily. I feel as if I missed something, or said something wrong. "What?"

"Sure thing," he manages to say. "Charlie delights in punishing us! Severely! Whipping is her specialty! She knows all the right places! And the occasional handcuffing..."

"Angel!" I cut him off. "I was serious!"

"That's the funny part!" he points out, still chuckling.

I stay silent until he stops.

"Haven't ya met her?" he asks incredulously. "She's like, the sweetest innocent demon down here!"

"How should I know?" I backfire. "She's, after all, the Princess of Hell."