Dancing in One Direction - Part 9

Part 9

'Wait what?!' Laura says, spitting her coke out all over the table.

'I know, I know..' I put my head in my hands and sigh.

'But I thought he knew that you were just friends?' Laura says, getting over her shock a little and gingerly lifting a nearby cloth, wrinkling her nose at the moist, chemical smell it radiates.

'Yeah well so did I', I mumble in reply. The boys were called into an early recording session, and Dean and the other boys dancers are off doing what it is boys do, so it's just the girls at the table.

'This is weird', Aimee says, taking a bite of her doughnut.

'Yeah really weird. Dean doesn't seem the type to -to..', Emma says, searching for the word.

'To be confident enough to ask anyone out.' Fiona finishes.

'Yeah, especially you. You know,' Meabh says, 'because your such close friends.'

I sigh. Everything is so complicated.

A figure across the room catches my eye, and I watch as Chloe walks towards the salad bar. Our eyes meet, and she stops walking, just letting her icy glare seep into me, before turning around sharply, and heading in the opposite direction.

'God what's her problem?' Emma says, watching her leave.

'I see she still hates you then,' Laura says cheerfully, taking a bite from her apple.

Suddenly it's all too much, and I stand up, pushing my chair back behind me. I murmur something about needing air, and walk towards the door. I feel suffocated as all my problems come crashing down at once.

'She's usually really nice....' I hear Greta say to the others before I round the corner and the noisy din of the cantine dies away. I breathe a sigh of relief at the quiet, and try to get my thoughts together. Well I try, before voices distract me.

'...denying it. You're only lying to yourself.' a deep voice I’ve never heard before says. I edge closer to the door the voices seem to be coming from, and I peek round the corner of the slightly ajar door. I know I shouldn't spy, but I feel like I need to escape into somebody else's problems. At least for now.

I slowly edge the door open a little more so that I can see clearly who the voices belong to.

Dean stands with his back to me, and the other unfamiliar voice belongs to a tall, good looking boy. At first I want to turn around again, because by looking for other people's problems, I seem to have found myself right back looking at my own again, I think staring at the back of Dean's head. But before I can do anything, something happens. Something I definitely didn't expect, and causes me to hold back a gasp.

The good looking boy leans his head in closer and closer to Dean's, until he kisses him. And Dean is kissing him back...

***

I hop around my room looking for my other shoe, which has conveniently decided to go missing only five minutes before Dean has to pick me up. Finally I find it hiding under my bed and I put it on before adding the finishing touches to my make-up.

It's not too late to pull out now, I say to myself, yet again. I could always tell him I got a last minute migraine, or a sudden dose of the flu. But you can't, I remind myself yet again, thinking of my reason for still going on with the date. I need to ask him, well confront him, about what I saw only hours before hand. What exactly did I even see? I mean obvisiously they were kissing, but was it a one off? Taken by surprise? I mean I had to be right? He wouldn't still be going out with me tonight if it wasn't. Right? Or could Dean really be-