Buried Inside

BAKUGO'S POV

"I'm just glad he found someone who can put up with him working and being shot at every week," Inko sighed while reaching for another handful of chips.

She had gotten here an hour ago and started questioning me almost immediately about my life, who I am, what I want, and much more. Midoriya apologized about fifty times and tried shutting her down, but she was persistent.

"Mom, I don't get shot every week," he groaned.

"You get shot at every week. You probably only get shot every other week," she rolled her eyes. Is he really in danger that often? I don't think I needed that kind of anxiety when he returned to his normal job. She might be exaggerating, though. I'll ask him later.

"Alright, Mom. Change the subject," he warned. He could probably see the color draining from my face at the thought of me losing him.

She rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to me. "How do you put up with that attitude of his?"

I don't think she wants to know that I fuck it out of him when it gets too bad. So instead, I shrugged. "Sometimes I ignore it; sometimes I dish it back."

He doesn't have an attitude very often, but it does happen. Usually, it's because he's tired, hungry, or sex-deprived. It's rough when you don't know which one of the options it is.

We all turned to the cabin when we heard a phone ringing loudly. "It's mine," Midoriya sighed. "I'll be back."

I waited until he was inside before turning back to his mom. "Does he really get shot that often?" I asked. He'll probably lie to me when I ask, so I want to know what she has to say.

"He does," she frowned. "Usually, he's fine because of the vest, but it's worrisome. I think having you in his life will help with that problem, though."

"Why do you say that?"

"He always told me that he didn't care if he died in the force. He doesn't have as much to lose compared to many people in his life. I think having you in his life will make him more careful and actually want to survive his job," she explained. "Not to mention, he's the leader of his team. He would feel horrible if anything else happened to them, so he always gives himself the more dangerous situation."

I can understand all of that, even if I don't like it. If my team did crazy and dangerous stuff all the time, I would probably do the same thing.

"Well, hopefully, he'll want to come home to me as much as I want him to come home," I smiled softly. I know too many people who've sat up at night, waiting for someone to walk through the door. I don't know what I would do if that ever happened to me.

"I think he will," she smiled. "On another note, thank you. I know you two had a rough start, but I think it's the best thing that could have happened. He's never taken a vacation, and I haven't seen him this happy since he started the force years ago."

Hearing that made my insides flutter. I guess he needed me as much as I needed him. "I promise, he's going to be taking vacations and giving himself a break. I don't like when he overworks himself to the point of exhaustion."

He's already done that once while working with me, and I wouldn't let him have his gun when we went out the following day. He ended up falling asleep at his desk and was a disaster. He needs to learn to take care of himself if he wants to take care of other people.

"Sorry," Midoriya said as he quickly stepped back outside. "It was just Iida asking if I wanted to go out with them tonight."

"Did you tell them you were on vacation?" Inko asked.