CHAPTER L: Nine of Pentacles

Your feet are hanging over the edge as you're looking down, your heart beating against your ribcage, your black cat in your arms. After the realization that you can't even trust Foolish anymore, all you needed was your beloved Onyx in your arms, and some place where you wouldn't easily be stolen away by any undesired guest. The roof of Jack's apartment complex was the only location you could think of. At the castle of the vampires you weren't safe, of course. At your father's church, you were in danger. And well, you think your convenience store would be convenient enough to offer you some safety? Of course not, because Bad is there. In the end, you could not think of a single place where you'd feel best, but here.

A deep sigh leaves your lips, as tears prickle into your eyes. Your phone has been going off the entire time. Over and over again, you see the image of either XD or your parents popping up, but you can't bring yourself to answer. You answered the first time, only for a weird buzzing to follow, putting you less and less at ease. You really want to talk to your parents: there's nothing you'd love doing more. But you simply can't bring yourself to. This sudden sense of betrayal simply overwhelms you too much, to the point where you consider withdrawing into the forest, to never be found again.

And as you're wondering your existence, between life and death constantly, you look at your hands. Maybe it's your philosophy study, or maybe it's just all the confusion that living in this town brought with it. Whatever it is, it's not something you're not used to, but it feels so much more stronger and terrifying than usual.

You don't want company. There's nobody other than the black cat against your body that can bring you a peace of mind. That's what you're convinced of. However, you're soon enough proven to be wrong, when a pair of footsteps can be heard behind you, and a few voices make themselves known.

Jared's voice is easily distinguishable, easily bringing your soul to a rest, visible for nobody else. He approaches you with care, descending himself to the ground under him and sitting down next to you, looking at you with a faint smile. Niki and Jack approach as well. Jack with his arms crossed, eyes criticizing you in a mere second, while Niki has a softer gaze, though you're unsure of what else there is hidden in her expression.

"You doing okay?" Jared then softly asks, sounding as though the words are scraped through his throat, though still withholding that all too familiar comforting tone. Immediately, you're forgetting all your concerns as you grow worried about him, noticing his exhaustion and unusual lack of colour. You put you hand on his shoulder, to the extent that it's possible, and notice Onyx moving towards your best friend, lying in between the two of you.

"I could ask you the same," you mumble. "You look horrible, Jared. And I'm not exaggerating." It's almost as though the both of you are copying each other's emotions; both are feeling a strange sensation of fear for the other. You're scared for Jared and his health; Jared's scared for you and your safety.

Jared doesn't explain it, though his eyes show he knows what's going on. You send a quick glance towards the spirit and elf, who are awaiting his answer silently, at which his smile widens, almost as though you guessed the unasked question.

"Foolish is looking for you, you know," Jack then says, taking a few steps forward, not seeming to care that much about the situation. "He asked me if you were here. I told him I didn't know. Which is why I came to check up on you. Happened what I think happened?"

"I don't know what you think happened," you shrug, your fingers stroking Onyx' black fur as he purrs more and more loudly. "But it's not a big deal. I just think I want to move into my apartment again."

"I don't think that's wise, Y/N," Niki then states, crossing her arms as she comes closer to you and Jared, ending up behind you at which her eyes light up, but the conflict doesn't disappear. "It's unsafe for you to be here. They know you live here. You're in danger the moment you close your eyes."