CHAPTER X: Ace of Cups Reversed

T/W: Mentions of chest pains and other physical issues, creepy behaviour 

________________________________________________________________________________

You were more than surprised when Wilbur asked you to dance, but you still didn't see why you wouldn't. Well, yes, you did, actually, but you promised yourself not to worry or to be too concerned or who knows what, so you're now doing it. The music still flows through you, similar to how it did when you danced with Sally, but it's still different. Maybe it's the way Wilbur looks at you? The way that his eyes seem to be scanning every part of your face, looking at you with a hatred you wouldn't expect from him: a hatred which is only mixed with curiosity.

And during your dance, not once do either of you break eye contact.

You don't know whether you're hypnotized or just uncertain of what else to do, but you feel unsafe. Your chest starts aching more the longer you dance with him, as if your body itself is already warning you. The question is: should you take the warning seriously?

"I didn't actually think Sally was for real when she asked you to dance with her," Wilbur then states out of the blue, keeping his volume low, but speaking loud enough for you to hear him over the music. "I thought she was just joking."

You remain silent, unsure of how to react to that. Instead, you look at him a bit more, before finally looking away uncertainly. "I thought you were joking when you asked me to dance," you admit, but Wilbur doesn't feel anything at the words you just said. How is he supposed to, after all? You're a human. You're not here to live for long, so he doesn't see any reason whatsoever to even consider your feelings.

"I wish I was joking," he instead mumbles, and quickly, your facial expression changes as you 'accidentally' stomp on his foot.

"Oopsie," you simply say with a mischievous smirk, after he's reacted to it with a grunt as he leans down a little at the reaction, looking away from you in the process. You didn't even stomp him a little: no, you genuinely put strength and all your weight behind it. It pisses him off, but only puts a smile on your face. "This is on you, by the way. If you didn't want to dance with me, then you could've just not approached me."

But, despite the hurt you gave him, he still continues with you. "It's a simple case of showing the new citizen respect, Y/N," he then whispers in your ear, hoping that nobody hears it. "Besides, Sally danced with you gladly, so I can't just refuse to do the same." You chuckle.

"I see. You have to keep your reputation high, huh?" He hums in confirmation, a grin appearing on his face as he already prefers to straighten his back again so he can look you in the eyes, but the smile quickly disappears when you add the following words: "There's not really a reputation to keep high, though, so I still don't understand what you're doing this for." As soon as you've said this, however, he grabs your shoulders tightly, hurting them very much, as he stares right into your eyes, his own glowing like torches in a dark cave. For a moment, the whole world seems to darken around you, although you're not sure why that is.

And as soon as you actually stare him right in the eyes again, your chest hurts. Your entire body does, actually, but it all hurts in a similar way. However, that's not even what you're focused on. It's almost as if you can't move your body. It scares you. And really, it would scare anybody.

"If I were you, I'd really watch my words, Y/N," Wilbur then says, a fury you've never seen before visible in his glowing eyes. "Because in case you haven't realized yet, you're not exactly welcome here. You're just another prey in predator's territory." His words result in shivers going all over your skin, while your brain is already planning an escape plan in case he tries anything. But, he doesn't seem to. Your entire body is hurting more now, a terrifying feeling that only worsens your adrenaline. Your breath quickens as your sight slowly becomes a blur, oddly familiar images flashing before your eyes and blocking your vision from Wilbur's hypnotizing ones.