CHAPTER XVI: Nine of Pentacles Reversed

You're slowly calming down a little while you're walking towards the convenience store, trying to clear your mind and realize that you gave Wilbur exactly what he wanted. And you hate it. However, instead of upsetting yourself too much, you just decide to check your phone to quickly see you've received a message of X.D., stating of how you're correct when you said that he has a lot to explain. Thankfully, he also states of how he wants to meet up with you to talk about it, so he'll hear it from you when you're available. Considering you're about to work now, you really don't want to think of a time at this moment, so you just decide to ignore the message and read it again afterwards.

When you arrive there, however, you're extremely surprised to see that there are actual customers. Bad is there too, welcoming them with open arms while talking to some weird doll from time to time as if it's a person. Jared is anxiously handling all the customers, some of whom you recognize from the festival.

Once you walk in, however, all eyes are on you. Some start excitedly whispering in the ears of the other, while another woman scoffs and looks at you as if she considers you inferior. As soon as you enter the store, she leaves while dragging her curious-looking child with her, who looks at you a bit longer even while they leave. One of the people who's also there, however, is Sally.

"Y/N! I already started thinking you wouldn't come anymore," she says as she approaches you to give you a tight hug, as if the two of you have known each other for years. "Are you okay?" she then asks after seeing you closer now, probably noticing that you're acting a bit off.

"Yeah, yeah," you nervously answer, feeling your chest pain a little as you see the many people looking at you. "I just had a bit of a lash-out, that's all." Is that the right word? Sally's hands on your shoulders are surprisingly sympathetic, despite the fact that she's been making you feel loved for a bit longer now.

"That's fine, darling," she says sweetly as she puts a kiss on your cheek, before holding your face in her hands. "I'm just glad to see you here. If you ever need to talk, or just want attention in general, feel free to come to me. I've had to take care of Fundy for quite some time now, and he isn't even really my child," she chuckles before turning to the vampire who's standing behind her awkwardly, a vampire who has a lot more fur than you'd think a vampire has. "Considering you now know of the origins of this town, I think I can proudly tell you that he's able to shapeshift! Can't you, Fundy?" She puts her arm over the vampire, laughing as he seems to dislike the motherly attention that he's always wanted to get from his father too.

"Can we leave now, please?" he comments instead, looking at her angrily. "Why do you even want to keep coming back to this place to begin with?!"

"Now, now, no reason to be grumpy, Fundy," Sally laughs while scratching behind his ears, which seems to result in him wagging his tail, even if reluctantly.

"Mom, stop!" Again, Sally loves, but she still does so nevertheless, letting go of him too.

"He loves it when I do this, unless he's with people he'd like to impress." The teasing seems to just result in him looking away ashamed even more. "I'm just kidding! He only lets people he trusts do it. As I'm sure you understand." You do.

"I have a cat, of course I understand," you say with a chuckle and Sally's smile only grows wider, before she grabs both of yours hands.

"I heard what happened. I'm glad the Grim Reaper gifted you yet another day to live, though," she tells you, making you swallow a comment that you wanted to make after this. "And as I already said, please, just come to me if you ever need help. You know you can trust me." You nod at her words before actually going to Bad and Fundy, where you quickly start your work.