CHAPTER XIX: The Empress

The white lights are flickering slightly, while Jared is trying to fix this problem, not a single customer in the convenience store. You're reading one of the books that you took with you after leaving the library, going through every single one in the hopes that something will finally be able to break you out of your mind prison.

Despite the amount of interesting information you've gathered, nothing has really been revolutionary enough, let alone helpful. Although, you never really expected to find that much about it to begin with.

Jared, meanwhile, had just as little luck as you, though he, apparently, did find out that Jack Manifold used to have a hotel called 'The Blue Sheep' before dying. This doesn't matter to you, though, since this helps you in no way whatsoever, but you still was supportive of Jared when he shared that useless information with you since he had good intentions at heart.

"You know, Jack told me that a bunch of serial killers once stayed at his hotel," Jared tells you while you're trying to concentrate on reading, feeling watched from every direction yet not knowing where those eyes could possibly be coming from. "Would've never thought that he'd accept that kind of behaviour."

"Money is money," you answer casually, turning the page, receiving a surprised look from Jared, who keeps failing to fix the lights. When you realize this, you look up confusedly. "Uh, are you sure it's broken and nobody is just messing with it?"

"I fucking hope that it's broken. I'm not looking forward to another poltergeist living here. Bad already had to chase the last one out." Then he sighs. "Oh fuck, we aren't going to get rid of this one." A book falls off a shelf and the lights only flicker worse, as if Jared's realization made the poltergeist angry. Not knowing who this could be, you just assume that it's Sapnap – a same assumption to make – since he's the only poltergeist here you know. Thanks to coming to this correct conclusion, you also feel safe to mess with him.

"I can perform an exorcism," you suggest to the friendly ghost. "I'm pretty sure I have a book on that."

"You took that with you from the library?"

"No, I always carry a book with me around in case I have to bully some evil spirits away. My parents have done it – and still do it – as an occupation, so why shouldn't I do it as a hobby, you know?"

"How does that work, then? I'm pretty sure exorcisms don't work unless you're a magical being." Shit. Jared, please understand that I'm messing around.

You don't actually know how to form an actual, functioning exorcism. You only know how to communicate with ghosts, but that knowledge is pretty useless now. How the fuck are you supposed to respond to this? "That's because exorcists want you to believe that, so any spirit is vulnerable when they're exorcised by a human. The only difference between them is that it hurts a lot more when I, a human, do it." And thus, the lights stop flickering. Jared takes a step back from the light he's just constantly been trying to fix, looking at you with questioning eyes.

"Oh!" he says, finally understanding that you were just lying to make Sapnap stop, laughing once the realization finally hits. "Who would've thought that would work? Sapnap's been an asshole ever since he found out that I usually don't realize he's active and Bad refuses to chase him away." When you raise your eyebrow, wondering why this is, the poltergeist himself appears in front of you, his glowing eyes looking at Jared mischievously.

"It's a shame that Y/N has intelligence above average. It takes the whole fun away."

"Awh, Sappy is jelly because he's been beaten by a human!" you mockingly say, resting your head on your hand and arm, realizing that he's a lot dickier after you left him and Karl at the library to continue your studies here. "How adorable."