013 | 2:15

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

████████████████████

╰┈➤ 2:15

🏴‍☠️

Gracie walked down the long, sterile corridor at the Naval base. The walls were painted a pale shade of blue, and the fluorescent lights overhead cast a harsh, clinical glow. The air was filled with the faint scent of antiseptic, a reminder of the countless medical procedures that take place within these walls.

Her footsteps echoed against the linoleum floor, the sound reverberating through the corridor. Despite her physical discomfort, there was a determined look in her eyes, a fire that refused to be extinguished.

Having just been released from the hospital, she felt a combination of relief and restlessness. The weight of her injuries had lifted, but the absence of her friend and WSO, Data, weighed heavily on her mind. She worried about his recovery and how it would impact their partnership in the cockpit. The uncertainty of her future without him as her backseater gnawed at her, fueling her determination to find Maverick and seek answers.

As she reached the central location at the base, her ears caught a snippet of conversation coming from a nearby room. The sound of voices, muffled yet distinct, drew her attention. She stopped in her tracks, her heart pounded in her chest. The corridor seemed to close in around her, the walls closing in like a vice grip.

She leaned closer to the door, straining to hear the conversation. The voices grew clearer, and she recognized Cyclone's dismissive tone. The words hit her like a punch to the gut, a harsh reminder of the fragility of her position within the team.

"You're grounded, Captain. Iceman is no longer here to save you."

Her jaw clenched, her knuckles turning white as she gripped the strap of her bag. Anger and frustration surged through her veins.

"Shit," she whispered through gritted teeth.

She heard footsteps approach the door; she ducked into the conjoining hall just in time. Maverick stormed out of the room with purpose. Headed where? That she didn't know, but she was determined to find out.

With a renewed objective, she decided to follow Maverick. Discreetly, of course.

She blended into the shadows, her steps silent as she trailed behind him. The corridor stretched out before her, seemingly endless, but she remained undeterred.

As she made her way toward the parking lot, her body felt both weary and invigorated. The physical toll of her injuries lingered. a dull ache that served as a constant reminder of her mortality. Yet, the adrenaline coursing through her veins fueled her determination, pushing her forward.