000 | THE JOLLY ROGERS

PROLOGUE

████████████████████

╰┈➤ THE JOLLY ROGERS

Introducing VA-103, the legendary Jolly Rogers, renowned as the most infamous Naval Fighter Squadron across the globe. Distinguishing themselves from the rest, each aircraft proudly bears the iconic skull and crossbones on its tail. What truly sets this exceptional team apart is their remarkable distinction of having the highest number of Top Gun graduates in the entire US Navy.

Within the ranks of this esteemed squadron, the honor of being selected is already awe-inspiring. However, it is even more extraordinary to find a woman among their elite ranks.

In the year 2022, Lieutenant Gracie Galloway, known by her call sign "Maple," stands as the sole female member of VA-103, defying expectations and blazing a trail of her own.

🏴‍☠️

The sun was shining; its delicate rays penetrated the skin's natural barrier, producing sweat-laced brows and labored breaths. The heat was not as intense as the dry heat of the Middle East, but the late August sun in Virginia delivered an uncomfortable blanket of humidity and steam. The humidity today stuck clothing together like glue, and the atmosphere mimicked the slimy sensation of stagnant bathwater.

For the pilots on base, this meant a grueling afternoon of aircraft maintenance.

Anthony Emerson or Data, as his fellow aviators call him, wiped the sweat off his forehead and adjusted his sunglasses. He leaned his body weight on the side of the F/A-18 and took a few deep breaths.

"I hate the summer," he groaned as he bent down to pick up his wrench. His partner in crime, Maple, chuckled from underneath the left wing.

"You're preaching to the choir, D. You know how I feel about it." Maple slid out from under the wing and jogged toward the cooler, picking up a pair of ice-cold Gatorades. She tossed one to Data; he immediately popped the lid off and took a few large gulps.

"I can't believe you grew up in this swamp," Data muttered as he placed his beverage on the wing.

Maple's lips curved into a toothy grin as she made her way back to the aircraft. "Oh, come on, D. Can't handle a little southern heat?"

"Heat? This ain't heat, Mapes. This is hell."

"Well, everyone knows hell is the best place to party." Keith interrupted from behind the aircraft, causing Maple to gasp in surprise.