005 | COBRA MANEUVER

CHAPTER FIVE

████████████████████

╰┈➤ COBRA MANEUVER

🏴‍☠️

Maple leaned on the cool, porcelain tile of the shower, letting the hot water run down her neck. Her tears mixed with the steam; a release of pent-up, negative energy.

She meandered through the halls like a zombie, feeling like a shell of the woman she once was. After she curled up under the safety of her feathered duvet, she experienced a sliver of peace until she drifted off to a much-needed sleep.

The morning sun penetrated the cheap, plastic blinds, aggravating her with a reminder of her daily troubles. She pushed through her discomfort and prepared for the day. With her hair neatly tied back and her uniform freshly pressed, she headed out into the world, her feet traveling straight to the airstrip.

The aviators were sent back to the waiting room while the first two pilots for today's training were selected: Hangman and Rooster. This duo ensured an entertaining morning, as their toxic masculinity and rivalry continually provided an added layer of amusement.

With Rooster a safe distance from Maple, she chose to sit close to the radio, intent on tuning in. She made a pact with herself last night. No matter how uncomfortable things get, she was going on this mission. Period. And in order to secure a spot, she needed to pay close attention to her competition.

"Hey Rooster," Hangman's voice blared through the radio, piercing the quiet room. "Mind if I ask you a personal question?"

"Oh, here we go," Phoenix rolled her eyes, leaning on the counter next to the radio.

"Would it matter if I did?" Rooster responded, his tone confirmed his aggravation with Hangman already.

"So, what's the deal with you and Maverick?"

Uh oh. Maple's breath hitched in her throat. She started feeling second hand embarrassment for Rooster. Hangman had no idea what can of worms he just tried to pry open.

"He seems to have you pretty rattled," Hangman continued. The aviators in the waiting room could visualize the smirk on his face. Hangman knew he struck a nerve with Rooster, that's exactly the point. He loved unnerving Rooster and burying deep under his skin. Hangman wanted to be mission leader and was willing to do and say whatever it took.

The aviators in reserve all shared the same look, waiting on the edge of their seats for Rooster's response.

"That's none of your business, now where is he?"