|23| Surrounded by idiots

╔══《✧》══╗

3.2k words

╚══《✧》══╝

The wind blows harshly against my face as Fives and I traverse across Lothal's landscape, back towards Fifth Brother's last known location, the lookout point which I told him to guard. We'd left the other troopers back at my camp because, whilst I thought it would have been hilarious to have everyone be a witness to Fifth Brother's failure at trying to outwit me by following a false lead, Fives, perhaps more reasonably, suggested that it would be pointless, and would reflect badly on me, if I dragged everyone away from their assigned posts, especially if the kyber crystal thief were to show up and no-one was there to apprehend them. I reluctantly agreed, but after having been walking for over an hour and still having not reached Fifth Brother's assigned post, I regret not telling one of the troopers to go instead of me. As the mission leader (well co-leader but the other one is an idiot who refuses to listen to anyone but the one thought that rattles through his otherwise empty head) I would be of more use to the mission keeping lookout, as I have thoroughly read the mission statement and actually know what I'm doing, but the idea of showing Fifth Brother just how stupid he is acting was too much of an opportunity to turn down.

《✧》

It's nearing nightfall when we finally reach Fifth Brother's assigned camp. The entire camp has been abandoned, only one tent remaining when there should have been an army of them. So not completely abandoned, someone must still be here.

I nod my head towards the one tent, silently giving Fives instructions. He nods back in understanding, arranging his blaster in his hands so that he's ready to shoot if need be. We move closer, my own hand resting against my lightsaber hilt on my hip.

Fives reaches out to open the tent flap when suddenly it opens for us. He let's out a high pitched squeal of shock, which I would have laughed at if I wasn't so angry at the person emerging from the tent. It's Agent Kallus.

"Agent! Where the fuck is Fifth Brother?" Kallus assumes a casual positioning when he notices my hostility, crossing his arms across his chest and swinging his ankle over the other, pausing when he realizes he can't lean back into the tent without it collapsing and decides to stand straight, examining his nails through the slit in his helmet.

"I don't know. When I woke up he was gone."

"Do you really think I'm stupid enough to believe that?"

I notice him taking a breath, as if he's actually planning on answering my question. "I really wouldn't answer that if you want to keep your head Agent. I've seen what she can do with a lightsaber." Fives jumps in before Kallus answers and I lose my head.

I take a deep breath, trying to grab any bit of calmness that I can find within myself, and I can say that it's getting harder the longer I talk to this idiot. "Let's just agree to cut the bullshit. I know you know where he is. Just tell me so I can go and rescue his ass from whatever hole he has found himself stuck in."

"I hate to tell you this, but I'm not lying. I genuinely don't know where he is." And then the ass grins. Before he can even blink, I have my lightsaber held at his neck, the hilt pushing into his throat, the blade inches from his face, not enough to hurt but enough for him to feel the heat reflecting off it. "What? Are you going to kill me?"

"No, of course I'm not going to kill you. Don't be silly. But wouldn't it be oh so sad if you were to get seriously injured in a freak accident?"

"Is that a threat? Are you forgetting that I have a witness? I don't think Lord Vader would be too happy to hear that you've been threatening one of his best agents." He turns his grin on Fives.