|5| The tournament

╔══《✧》══╗

3.2k words

Warning: Death

╚══《✧》══╝

"Poisoned? What do you mean he was poisoned?" Trilla Suduri asks me, completely confused as to how this could have happened, to the grand inquisitor nonetheless. In the four (and three quarter) years I have been here nothing like this has ever happened. Sure, people have gotten injured, and in some cases they had died but most of those casualties were in someway connected to Vader and his infamous temper tantrums.

"I mean exactly that." I shrug my shoulders and she continues to stare at me, incredulous.

"How? What happened?"

"Can I explain it in the morning? It's just that I'm tired and in desperate need of a shower." I gesture down to my clothes and that's when she notices the blood coating my body. I don't know where it all came from, the entire day has been a blur but I'm pretty sure none of it is my own.

"Oh yes, of course. But I'll be holding to you that. I want answers and I doubt I'm the only one who wants them." I cringe at the thought of having to explain this whole mess to the other inquisitors. No doubt some of them will blame me for it. I nod my assent to her and she offers me a small smile which I return.

When I started my self imposed mission, all those years ago, I never expected to make a friend, especially not with one of the inquisitors who was responsible for my capture in the first place.

A few days after I was made an inquisitor, Trilla was asked (that's what she claims, but she was obviously forced) to train me in the 'art' of Jedi hunting. The first few weeks were rough, what with the constant drills on what I should and shouldn't do and with my own wracking guilt for betraying the people who had once looked up to me. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of my end goal; murdering Vader. Trilla, to a certain extent, seemed to understand what was going on on my head, as if she had experienced the same guilt that I had which helped our friendship grow.

She has never once told me why she had become an inquisitor and I never asked, not being able to stomach the idea of her being a youngling or a padawan who was tortured into being a monster, something that I heard the Empire does. The unknown horrors of Vader's rule is just another reason why he has to pay for what he has done, the lives he stole not just through murder but through brainwashing and manipulation.

Mine and Trilla's friendship has not changed the way she acts around me, she is still incredibly peevish with me at times, but she seems to understand that I have my own ways of being an inquisitor, not that we talk about it that much. When we are together, meeting up for midnight raids of the refrigerators in the cafeteria, we don't talk about the horrors we have partaken in. We just spend what little free time we have criticizing Fifth Brother and debating why both Vader and Miro hide their faces. She has a pretty in-depth theory that involves them both being horrifically ugly.

Today, though, is different. Today something big happened, our impenetrable grand inquisitor was poisoned, an obvious talking point but after everything that happened on that mission I just want to crawl into my nice, warm bed and sleep the rest of the day away.

I reach the door to my room, typing the code into the keypad next to it. The rooms in the fortress are decently sized, not quite as luxuriously furnished as the rooms I had in the Jedi Temple when I was a padawan but they would do. It's not like I get to spend much time here anywhere, there is always a mission I am sent away on. With each room comes an en-suite but if we want to eat we have to gather in the cafeteria. Like I said, not bad but could definitely be better.