|2| The truth

╔══《✧》══╗

1.8k words
Warning: Threat, swearing, mentions of death

╚══《✧》══╝

I inhale deeply, struggling to collect my thoughts. Why is he here? I haven't seen him since he first gave me the job of Inquisitor so why has he decided today would be a good day to drop by the Fortress?

The Grand Inquisitor usually deals with incompetence on his force. Vader rarely gets called in for mistakes like mine and Fifth Brother's. So why is he here now?

He lifts one of his gloved hands, beckoning us over to the chairs in front of the desk. We sit. "I expect you know why you're both here?"

I nod, staring intently at Vader, trying to discern his features from under the huge cloak that he wears. I can't make anything out. His yellow Sith eyes turn to me, making me shiver with their intensity.

"Yes, my Lord. I know why we are here. I am sorry for the failures of sister... and myself of course. But I feel that I must confess. Sister had the force sensitive man in her grasp and then she let him get away. I don't understand what happened and I'm sure she tried her best but I feel that's no excuse. I tried to chase him down but he knows Tatooine much better than I ever could."

I break eye contact with Vader to glare at Fifth Brother. "You're joking, right? You pulled me away from him. You knocked me to the ground. So if anyone let him get away it was you. Don't you dare try and blame me for your failures." I turn back to Vader and see that he appears to be contemplating something. If he takes Fifth Brother's side on this I am truly screwed. My job will be on the line which would bring my mission to a standstill. I can't and won't let that happen, no matter what I have to do to prove my loyalty to the Empire. The thought feels wrong in my head.

"My failure? How wrong you are sister. I have never and will never be a failure to this galaxy. Let's not forget that I have always been loyal to the Empire. But you-" Vader raises his hand once more, but this time it's to cut Fifth Brother off.

"This clearly is not going to work. If neither of you are prepared to take responsibility for your actions I'll have to do this the hard way. (y/l/n), step out into the hallway and wait for further instructions." I do as I am told, my gaze landing of Fifth Brother to see a huge grin plastered across his face. How stupid of him to think he has won. He really doesn't know how far I am prepared to go to win this war he has created. 

《✧》

I walk out into the corridor. The door slamming shut behind me. Leaning against the wall beside it, I hear heavy footsteps coming my way. "I see Vader is taking my advice then." It's Miro. He stops and leans against the wall beside me. I've never once heard him refer to Vader as master or lord (which everyone around here does, unless they want to lose a hand) but somehow Miro always manages to escape punishment. He's got guts and I like that. If he wasn't one of Vader's confidants I might actually like him but someone who can even stand to be anywhere near that man is no friend of mine.

"Taking your advice on what?"

"Interviewing the pair of you separately. I told him that if he wanted coherent answers he would have to talk to you individually."

"Are we really that predictable?"

"I wouldn't say predictable, more so stubborn."

"I'll take that as a compliment."