|9| Memories (part 1)

╔══《✧》══╗

2.6k words

Warning: Brief suicide mention

╚══《✧》══╝

"Yes, I win!" Fives shouts from his seat beside me, almost shattering my eardrums. I laugh at the joy plastered across his face. These are the kinds of moments I never expected to witness when I first joined the Inquisitors, but here I am anyway.

We are all crouched around a small table, Rex and Fives battling it out playing sabacc while they see how many credits they can lose to each other while me and Trilla sit watching, amused by their antics.

Fives slams his winning hand down onto the table and I glance down at the cards, checking to see if he really has won, it wouldn't be the first time he lied to us about winning. But this time he has, breaking the tie he had with Rex and winning the entire game.

The games have been going on for a few hours now and the pair of clones have been in fierce competition from the start.

I pulled out of the game after I had lost three times in a row. I only agreed to the gambling because I thought the clones were all talk, I didn't think they'd actually be good. Oh how I underestimated them.

Trilla was clever enough not to get involved. She named herself dealer at the beginning and has been watching me lose all my credits with a smug smile plastered across her face all evening.

Rex shakes his head at his friend's antics, a small smile playing around the edges of his lips. From where I'm sitting it looks like he deliberately lost the game because of Fives' earlier reactions to losing. He is very much a sore loser.

Rex passes his remaining credits to Fives. "Well done Fives for beating me... this time. Next time I won't go so easy on you."

Fives scoffs. "You didn't go easy on me. I won fair and square." Trilla and I watch the exchange, our gazes constantly moving back and forth between the pair.

"Sure you did." He replies grinning. Fives splutters, unsure whether he is telling the truth or not. He glares at his friend and looks to be about to say something else when the door slams open, almost knocked off its hinges.

A Stormtrooper enters the room, pulling his helmet off as he does. "Captain, there's something that you need to see." His face is panicked, as if he has just seen a ghost. I jump to my feet. If something has happened I should be kept in the loop too. I am an inquisitor after all, but the Stormtrooper shakes his head. "It's best if you don't come."

"And why would that be?" Trilla demands from behind me.

"Well, the thing that er... happened, isn't pleasant."

"Just lead the way trooper." Rex says resigned. He was telling us earlier that this was his first evening off in months so he has a right to be annoyed about it being interrupted. However for it to be interrupted, whatever has happened must be big.

We follow the Stormtrooper down the corridor and, surprisingly, he leads us to the Inquisitor quarters. We pass each of our bedrooms until we stop outside one. One that I think belongs to fourth sister. The door is propped open slightly and I can see something red splattered across the floor. I try to get a better look but Rex shuts the door behind him. What is going on and since when were troopers more clued in than inquisitors?