|11| The final task

╔══《✧》══╗

2.2k words

Warning: Nothing really

╚══《✧》══╝

I lean against the low wall surrounding the edge of the spire atop the Jedi Temple, looking out over Coruscant and breathing in the city air. It looks nothing like how I remember. Shells of burnt out buildings encompass what was once a beautiful landscape. I can't clearly see any people, but there is far less speeders flying through the air. The place looks desolate. Just one more thing to hate the Empire for. The list was growing ever longer.

I turn away from the depressing view, a deep pang in my soul for the way things were. My heart aches for all the children being forced to grow up in such a horrid world, children who might never experience a world of peace.

I lean against a concrete pillar a few inches to my right and wait for the others to show up. It's not too much longer before they do and they all gather around the edges of the room. For the final task Vader has given special permission for all of the other inquisitors (the ones that were spared after they failed the last task) to watch the one on one fight between Fifth Brother and I. Trilla shoots me a thumbs up from across the room and I smile back at her while Fives begins explaining the final task.

"Now that everyone has arrived we can begin." He claps his hands together once, excitement clear on his face. From out of the corner of my eye I notice a cloaked figure sneak into the room. He leans on the pillar across from me, crossing his arms over his chest and glancing quickly at the city landscape behind him. Of course Vader would choose this to be the only task worthy of his time. "Fifth Brother and Seventh Sister will face each other in the ultimate test. A lightsaber battle between the two to determine who is stronger and therefore worthiest of becoming," Fives pauses and grins, his gaze almost imperceptibly landing on Vader before flicking away, "Lord Vader's grand inquisitor."

"The task will end when one of you is unconscious or can go on no further. It will not end any earlier than that." I see a couple of inquisitors jump at the sound of Vader's voice, as if they hadn't known he was here. And that is why they haven't made it to the final task. His presence is impossible to ignore.

"Get into position." I push myself off the pillar and make my way to the centre of the room, meeting Fifth Brother there. We stand facing each other and I see ferocity in the fire of his eyes. Fives moves to the edge of the room, standing where I had been, beside Vader. The corners of Fifth Brother's mouth turn upwards, the kind of smile that says he has just won something. Only in his dreams. My hand goes to the lightsaber on my belt, itching to ignite it and win this competition once and for all. "The task begins... now!" Fives shouts and I hear a loud whoop, the voice very obviously Trilla's. I struggle to contain my grin at her antics.

The hand on my belt unclips the lightsaber, quicker than I ever have before. I feel the force building up throughout my body and I call upon it, gathering it around me. I lift my lightsaber so that the weight of it balances perfectly in both of my hands. The blade emerges from the top of it, causing the air around me to crackle. I make sure to stare directly into Fifth Brother's eyes, showing him my complete lack of fear.

"I wouldn't be looking too confident if I was you." Fifth Brother attempts a taunt but I close him out, making my thoughts blank. He is trying to rile me up, trying to cause a distraction but I won't let him. My smile widens and his drops.

Fifth Brother adjusts his grip on his own lightsaber, moving it from both his hands to just one, clearly trying to show me how confident he is in his own abilities to defeat me one handed. With a flourish, I spin my lightsaber, beckoning him forward. He moves towards me slowly, contemplative, thinking about what his next move should be.