chapter 21

Y/n's POV.

The sight of pure money was what hit me first.

Hundreds of people lined the ballroom, all spectacularly dressed for the occasion.

A live orchestra played on the stage, and bodyguards lined the walls and exits of the building.

I continued to stare in pure awe.

Mikey led me through the massive hall. People stared at us from every direction; apparently Sano Manjiro never brought people along with him to events.

I watched him as we walked, glancing up at his stone-hard face as we effortlessly glided across the floor. His steps were cautious and calculated, sliding along the ground in a perfect rhythm, and his eyes were yet again as cold as ice, unreadable, shining and reflecting the candle-lit room.

His tousled hair was set out neatly on his perfect head; this man looked untouchable.

Every move he made was large and ominous, showing his dominance and power. He was the apex predator in the game.

One might have even mistaken him for a god if they hadn't looked twice.

"Y/n, I recommend not leaving my side; these men here, well, let's just say they don't really have a great deal of self-control, and to them, you would be like a beautiful diamond to add to a collection." I nodded slowly. I think Mikey had just called me beautiful in a really twisted and terrifying way, but I'll take it.

I continued to nod up and down, managing to rip my eyes away from him.

My lips trembled slightly, and my whole body shook with fear as I allowed Mikey to lead me through the crowds of people.

"Mikey!" I turned to see a young man of about Mikey's age coming towards us.

He was good-looking enough, with blond-streaked hair and gold eyes, in his early twenties.

He and Mikey shook hands in greeting.

"So glad you could make it, and with a date for once." The man nodded to me kindly, and I offered him a slight smile; he had just roasted the hell out of Mikey.

"Y/N, this is Shuji Hanma." Mikey's face went a slight shade of pink.

I smiled slightly; his face looked familiar.

"You wouldn't happen to be in any relation to Shuji's Weaponry Company?" I asked curiously.

"In fact, yes, I am; I own the company." He smiled, pleased that I had recognized him.

We continued to speak; our conversation was light and polite, drifting from simple conversations of car preferences to deep and detailed conversations of arms dealings. I was doing my very best to not be annoying.

We were in mid-conversation—in fact, I was in mid-sentence—when we were rudely interrupted by a booming voice across the hall.

"Sano Manjiro," said the voice that boomed.

I turned back to see a light golden brown hair parted to the side and terrifying eyes.

He was at least six feet tall, and he smiled a bleached white smile.

The man's suit had an organization insignia designed into it, one that I didn't recognize.

Hanma sank back into the crowd, almost as though he were way too smart to get involved here.

Mikey seemed to freeze for a split second before he addressed the man.

"Kisaki, pleasure," he said formally and politely.