Chapter 22

When they return to their room after dinner, Barcode still comments on the subject that came up when they were having dinner and extended until the moment they separated from Bas and Job at the exit of the elevator. Jeff would be lying if he said he was listening to what Barcode's saying, just nodding and humming slightly in agreement. His mind still on the conversation they'd had earlier and the one he'd had with Pond afterward. Decided not to postpone it and put an end to that pang that is settling in his chest again, Jeff sits on the bed already made up by them earlier and pats on the side for Barcode to sit next to him.

"I want to talk to you."

Barcode's expression immediately shows concern. He approaches without hesitation and sits down.

"What happened?"

Jeff takes a moment to respond, then sighs and takes Barcode's hands, but realizes that he is taking too long and making the younger man nervous with anticipation when he presses his fingers into Jeff's.

"P'Pond knows about us." Jeff says at once, seeing Barcode's eyes widen. "And Bible too."

"Oi! How do they know, Phi?"

The surprise that comes with the question indicates that Barcoda really doesn't suspect that Jeff himself has told them, even if in completely different situations. And with no intention of postponing any further conversation they need to have, Jeff sighs.

"I told them." Jeff takes his hands slowly away from Barcode's to push his own hair away from his face. "A while ago, P'Pond called me in for a chat and said he was worried, that I needed to take it easy..." With a sigh, Jeff rubs his eyes. "I was so nervous with the idea of being in love with you and with that feeling of it being wrong, of forcing something, that I thought that was what he was talking about."

When he turns his eyes to Barcode, the expression on the younger man's face tells him absolutely nothing.

"I only found out today that it was about me, about me being away from work and about taking it easy when I came back, but when I realized, I had already told him and asked him to trust me, to trust us..." Jeff swallows with difficulty and shrugs when he finishes so low one can barely hear him. "And Bible, well, he's my friend, I wanted to share it with someone how happy I am."

Barcode listens intently, not asking questions or interrupting, but when Jeff finishes and waits for whatever he has to say, he notices that the expression on his face is one of pure disappointment.

Jeff knows it, because he's seen it before.

"When is P'Jeff going to start talking to me?" He asks very quietly.

"It's not that—"

"It's always that." He interrupts and Jeff falls silent to listen to him. "Phi doesn't trust me to tell me what's going on or to tell me what he's feeling. P'Pond was a matter of miscommunication, okay, but Phi didn't know about it until today and when were you going to tell me?" His eyes still on Jeff's, Barcode stands up, and Jeff has to look up to follow his movements. "Without us talking, this won't work."

The chill that runs down Jeff's spine is one of pure horror. Hearing that they won't work coming out of Barcode's mouth right now is definitely the worst thing that could happen to him. Still frozen in place, Jeff watches him walk over to the window and lean against it, his back to Jeff while he looks out, arms crossed.

"Can you forgive me?" Jeff asks, getting up and approaching the other slowly. "Again, I know, but... I can't go back, just promise that I'll be better from now on."

Stopping right behind him, Jeff can see through the city lights outside the reflection of Barcode with an annoyed pout on his lips. He comes even closer and hesitantly, he holds Barcode by the waist, leaving a kiss on the back of his shoulder.