Chapter 7

Sitting on the couch in the rehearsal room, Jeff holds the script for the first few episodes in one hand and a highlighter in the other. On his lap, Barcode's legs are being used as support when he decides to highlight a section. When the boy arrived, he threw himself on the empty space of the sofa next to Jeff and stayed there. They haven't exchanged many words beyond what's necessary, but Jeff feels like everything is alright.

Occasionally, while following the reading, Jeff slowly caresses Barcode's knee absentmindedly, but when the time comes for both of them to read together, Barcode returns to a sitting position, even though he still keeps his legs on the older's lap. The advantage of being always so close together is that, apparently, no one suspects that it has evolved into anything, which makes Jeff somewhat feel at ease.

The reading of today's passages involves other members of the cast, which ends up making it go on throughout the whole morning — between laughs and a break for lunch — until they decide to leave it to continue the next day and start their afternoon appointments.

Jeff and Barcode head to an event to promote a brand, where they have to get to early for soundcheck. There was no rehearsal, so it is important that at least this step is done. In the back seats of the van that takes them to the event location, Jeff feels his cell phone vibrate with a message from the boy beside him. He glances at him before opening it with a frown.

Barcode

P'Jeff could wear one of those outfits today.

:P

The laugh that escapes Jeff's lips catches the attention of one of the staff. He just nods his head as if to say it's nothing and peeks at the other again before answering.

Jeff

Who are you and what have you done with Barcode?

Barcode

This has always been Barcode, P'Jeff just didn't know.

With an offended look he looks back at the boy who just shrugs in response before typing on his cell phone again. A new message arrives.

Barcode

I just want P'Jeff to look good for his fans.

Jeff

Oh for the fans? OK then.

Barcode

And I want a ride later.

Another laugh, now silent, escapes Jeff's lips and he's sure he's wearing the same stupid face he had the night before. As he looks out the window, he realizes there's still some time until they reach their destination. Then he looks at Barcode again who's also looking outside.

For the first time since he can remember, Jeff can't predict where things are going. A lifetime of control, keeping everything in perfect order, and all it took was a boy to enter his life and mess everything up. While the lack of foresight bothers and makes him anxious to worrying levels, the warmth of expectation comforts him.

Jeff

Hey, we're good, right?

He sends it without giving much thought to what kind of response he expects to receive. He watches Barcode while he waits for him to read and answer, but what he does, as usual, surprises Jeff onde again. Barcode smiles at the phone and then looks up as if checking out the other people in the van. He slides his hand to the space separating them between the seats and turns it, palm up, looking at him.

The flip in his stomach just confirms how fucked up Jeff is. He just copies Barcode's action and holds his hand and feels him intertwine their fingers. He doesn't know exactly what that means, but he also understands that this is not the time to question it.