Chapter 10

The next few days are absolutely horrible. In addition to not being able to distract himself with absolutely nothing, the lack of news from Barcode drives him crazy. With his schedule changed, Jeff makes some excuses to go to Be On Cloud, but he can't find him or get any information. It's only this afternoon, when a script reading for the two of them is scheduled, that Jeff's sure he'll meet him.

When Barcode arrives, he is already waiting with the coach. Jeff feels a little ridiculous with the butterflies in his stomach as soon as he walks through the door, wearing one of his usual hoodies and a cap. His hair is longer now and was pulled back too tightly into a short ponytail. As he approaches and sits down next to Jeff, he notices that the cap is covering his eyes, and he doesn't seem to want to take it off.

The script reading goes smoothly, at least on the outside, Jeff thinks. On the inside he feels exhausted in the attempt of focusing on the task and not the boy next to him. And his attempt is not very effective, because his consecutive mistakes make them extend far beyond the time planned. When the coach leaves the room, Jeff allows himself to lie down on the floor and sigh heavily.

"I thought we would never get done with this."

Silence.

Jeff sits back down and looks over at Barcode, who is putting on his sneakers. He gets up and approaches to do the same. Barcode's eyes are still buried under his cap, and now it gives Jeff a strange feeling.

"I'll take you home."

"Thanks, P'Jeff, but there's no need." He says quietly, taking a little too long on his laces.

"And how are you leaving?"

"My sister is coming to get me." The answer is simple and straightforward.

He gets up with his backpack already on one shoulder and walks quickly to the door, leaving without saying goodbye. Jeff finds himself alone with one of the sneakers still in his hands and sighs heavily. He can't argue against Barcode being upset, but he also can't imagine not talking to him for even a day.

He knows he's being selfish in hoping that things will just go back to the way they were and that no one will get hurt by this brief story. He himself should take this time to reorganize his feelings and thoughts, but that's one more thing he doesn't know where to start.

After taking longer than expected when he decides to check his cell phone before leaving, Jeff finally leaves the almost empty building. The way to the car is lonely and he finds himself shaking his head, trying to ignore what that thought means.

When he finally turns around and leaves the parking lot, he spots the figure standing in the entrance. Barcode shakes himself impatiently and checks his phone a few times. With a sigh, Jeff pulls the car closer enough that he can hear him through the passenger window.

"I said I'd drive you!"

Barcode glances at him quickly, but then looks away.

"She should be on her way, thank you."

"Come on, I'll take you." Jeff insists, still looking at him.

"No need, P'Jeff."

"Barcode." Upon calling him with a firmer tone, Jeff opens the car door and finally has his attention. "Get in the car."

He snorts audibly in disagreement, but throws himself into the passenger seat and slams the door shut, making Jeff narrow his eyes. Barcode puts on his seatbelt and hugs his backpack to his chest.

Silence remains the entire way. Jeff doesn't dare turn on the car radio or say anything at first, but the sinking feeling grows inside him as they approach the younger's house.

"Are you going to stop talking to me?" Jeff asks quietly, looking straight ahead and not at him. The answer does not come. "Barcode, that's not very mature..."

"Oh, but making a decision that is not just about you is very mature, right?"

Jeff presses his lips together like he's been punched in the stomach. And by the tone of the answer, that's probably Barcode's wish.

With a heavy sigh, he ends up accelerating a little more than necessary and turns into the street of his house, but parks the car a good few meters away from the entrance.

"What do you want me to do?" Jeff asks and turns to him. "Things went... too fast, none of this should have happened..."

"Has P'Jeff ever wondered what I want?" Barcode shuts him up with the question. "I know what you're thinking and that you're worried about others' opinions. I know that everyone thinks I'm still a kid, including P'Jeff, but I'm not!" He punches his own backpack as he glares at him. "And I can make my own decisions."

"There's no way this could work, and that's not the only reason." He ends up saying without thinking, just wanting to say something and justify his own decision. "I think we got things mixed up, the script, the rehearsals, Kim and Porchay..."

"What?" The expression on Barcode's face is something Jeff never wants to see again. Even the cap can't hide the flicker of his eyes tearing up. His forehead is furrowed and his lips are slightly parted in disbelief. "What does P'Jeff think I am?!"

"That's not what I meant." Immediately regretting his words, Jeff raises his hands in a way as if to calm things down.

"That's exactly what Phi said!" He interrupts him speaking loudly and Jeff shuts up for good. "You think I'm stupid enough to mix things up."

"Barcode..." Desperate, Jeff leans toward him, but stops when he recoils. They stare at each other for a few seconds before Barcode removes his seatbelt and turns to leave.

"Barcode, wait."

He doesn't wait.

Jeff watches him dry his face before he leaves the car and once again slams the door as if he could send him flying the other way.

And if before Jeff had the feeling that his heart had stopped, this time he feels it being carried in the backpack that Barcode grabs as he runs down the street.