Chapter 2

Jeff arrives at the company early the next day. He knows that not everyone will be there, but from what he's checked on his schedule he's having a meeting with the casting team. From what he could find out, arrangements have already begun for the filming of second season, and this will be the first meeting regarding this matter.

"P'Jeff!"

He doesn't even have to turn around to find out who's calling him, but he does it anyway, holding the door that gives access to the hall of the building open. Barcode smiles and approaches him walking quickly, almost running, while adjusting his backpack on one shoulder and balancing the guitar case on the other arm.

"Hey, you're early." Jeff smiles back, getting closer to help the boy by taking the guitar for himself, even though he already holds his own.

"P'Jeff said he would be here early, so I came early too." Barcode says as he pulls his guitar back. "I'll carry it."

"Oi! I'm not broken!" Jeff scolds him knowing exactly what he's doing but doesn't insist on carrying the instrument.

Barcode whines then goes ahead, walking towards the rehearsal room. Right behind him, Jeff still has a trace of a smile on his lips, observing the boy's back. It's broader than he remembers. Even his gait seems different, Jeff notices as he looks all the way down Barcodes's body, but then he takes a deep breath and forces himself to look away to his own feet. He's thankful the room is not so far.

As predicted, they are both alone when they get to the rehearsal room. Jeff stops at the first sofa he finds and leaves his guitar and his bag. Barcode does the same with his own backpack and barely waits before opening his own guitar case.

They end up exchanging a few words as they each sit down with their instruments, tuning them and strumming random chords. It doesn't take long until - even without planning - they start playing one of the songs they usually do together. With a nod, Jeff indicates for Barcode to start singing and immediately the well-known warm feeling of contentment invades the older man's body.

"Wow, someone has been really studying." He makes sure his compliment gets through to Barcode.

He notices that Barcode gets shy when he giggles in his particularly loud voice and hits Jeff with one of his feet, leaving the imprint of his sneakers on his light-colored pants.

"Hey! That was a compliment!" Jeff laughs while he tries to clean the dirt out of his pants.

Barcode nods as to show he knows that, but still punches him lightly on the shoulder.

"I missed P'Jeff," he smiles. "I missed playing with P'Jeff and... practicing and... yeah."

Barcode doesn't look at him. Still strumming something on the guitar, the boy acts as if he hasn't said anything special. And he hasn't, not really. Deep down Jeff knows that, but the tickling sensation he feels in his insides makes his lips tremble and his smile falters. Barcode's honesty always takes him by surprise and makes Jeff see some beauty in his lack of filter. If he feels, he simply speaks. He always wears his heart on his sleeve.

"I missed you too." Jeff says after considering a little and bringing his smile back, squeezing his shoulder reassuringly.

They still have time to exchange a brief glance before a few people from the prep team enter the room and walk over to greet them. Jeff takes the opportunity to take a deep breath, as if the air during those previous few seconds had become thick. The discomfort in his stomach is still there, his head far away as he tries to unravel his thoughts and figure out what is that all-consuming feeling, since Barcodes and warmth used to be synonyms.

Jeff pays little attention when the meeting officially begins. Sitting in a circle on the rehearsal room floor, he only focuses on what's being said when they are informed that he and Barcode will start a new workshop process, since in the second season the characters develop a more intimate relationship.