🐛Howdy x Reader

Requested by: Lord0fth3flies thank you for your request, I hope you enjoy! 

Summary: Amidst a confusing and difficult time of Y/N exploring their feelings of security and insecurity, Howdy finds himself lost in worry at the slight shifts in Y/N's behavior. Confused and panicked, he decides to comfort them with everything he can, in the way he knows best. 

Drifting off into thought you kicked your feet back and forth as you sat on the countertop of the checkout table at Howdy's. Tracing circles into the table with your right hand you grew increasingly misplaced from the scene of Julie and Eddie assisting Howdy with shelving and preparing numerous new items. The typical light enlivening every neighbor was absent from yours, your lips pursed together tightly as though ever fibre of energy mechanizing it had abandoned you and your slouched posture. 

Only thirty (long) minutes ago you had arrived after Howdy's suggestion that you help and enjoy yourself with the trio, however with every minute it only grew more apparent how difficult it was for you to attempt a persona of joy. Julie didn't seem to notice, too focused examining and making suggestions to every new item she saw. Eddie attempted to approach and assist your mood, however with his slightly awkward personality he abandoned the idea as Julie urged him to help her with something. As she dragged him to the next aisle over Eddie gently gave Howdy a shove, moving his eyes to you worriedly and empathetically as a plea for Howdy to help. 

Imagining your entrance into the bugdega Howdy was worried and disappointed when you walked in, clearly off. Ever since his eyes and thoughts followed you shamelessly, begging for you to confide your troubles to him. Now the other two were too distracted, and you were too zoned out to change your behavior as he approached you. He placed two of his hands on either side of you, his other two crossed as his eyes drowned you with the presence of his worry. One of his feet tapped without his realizing, the whole scene in front of you startling you. 

"Y/N..." he began, wanting you to entrust your struggles to him without pressure or coercion. 

Patiently he watched as you struggled to form a plan of what you'd say. It made a smile rise up his face, slowly but surely, as he admired the sad yet amusing behavior you displayed. 

When you failed to respond he reached a hand over you to the back of your head, slowly leaning you into his comfortable chest in reassurance. He inspected your body's feel and movements, waiting until you relaxed into his touch, your face contorting to an expression of less stress and more contentment and calm, not drifted off as you were before, but at a loss of thought due to the comfort. His own face relaxed at the sight. Delicately, his hands ghosted over your shoulders to direct you off of him. 

As you looked at him confused and skeptical at what had happened just now, he provided you a reassuring smile and look of the eye, telling you "Give me a moment sweet thing" before disappearing into the maze of aisles.  

Just as you processed the sound of Julie and Eddie bickering (something Julie had clearly yet innocently initiated) you lost the sound, it seemed something quieted them. Within the next thirty or so seconds they came out the front, Julie excitedly waving you a goodbye and Eddie wishing you well along with a tip of the hat. As you watched them walk out, smiling and waving a goodbye Howdy walked back over to you until he was standing behind the counter. 

"If you'd like, we got some new teas." He announces with a smile, leaning against the counter, his arms a few inches from your hips as you stayed sat upon the surface. 

Lazily you leaned your body against him slightly, nodding your head tiredly. Howdy hummed in understanding, pulling you closer and patting your head. 

"There, there..."

A few more seconds and he pulled you away, giving a smile and kiss on the forehead before he went to the back and prepared some of your favorite tea. 

Finally getting down from the counter you approached him, and as you were in your tired state you yearned his touch a little more. 

With a little giggle Howdy pulled you close again, holding onto your shoulder. 

"Won't you tell me what's bugging you my bluebell?" he slightly teased. 

As you began confiding the latest events which brought you so down Howdy noticed how you slowly began gripping his sleeve tighter, searching for more security. He found himself flustered amidst all his concern and attention to you. When you finished the latest part of the story you told he suggested he hold you while you wait for the tea to finish cooling, a suggestion you were left speechless by. 

Laughing and rubbing the back of his neck he tested you, slowly holding you until two of his arms carried you onto his left shoulder, holding you steadily. 

"Howdy..!" you exclaimed, a little afraid and worried he wasn't comfortable, or that it may not exactly be a convenient position. Patting your back he tilted his head next to yours, his other two empty hands beginning to pour the boiling water into the cup with a tea bag. 

"Don't worry your pretty little head doll, why don't you continue what you were saying? I'm all ears." he reassured. 

As you tiredly continued your story he eventually let you down, instead sitting you in a chair to drink the tea. He sat opposite of you, watching you and reading every expression that matched every different thing you said. 

How could you have forgotten how comfortable your big love bug was?