BCJ 8 • community service

***

"What the hell were you thinking?! Are you out of your mind?" Third raved as he struggled to follow Kao. Beads of sweat were trickling down his face as he was struggling to follow Kao given Kao's fast pace.

Kao closed his eyes in frustration. He was just as frustrated as Third but he already made his decision. It was the best thing to do rather than being subjected to humiliation in front of a crowd.

"I-I just can't do it, okay? Not in a million times, Third. I'd rather be sent to some community service rather than stand in front of a crowd!"

"Oh come on! You already said yes! You can't just go back on your word! And besides, it's just one day, Kao. It's not like you are gonna stand there for an entire week!"

Kao spun around to face Third. "The school director already gave me the go signal to do community service rather than the competition. That's it, Third. You can't change my mind about it."

"Jeez! Okay, fine! I won't bug you about that stupid pageant anymore! Do what you want to do then!" Third roared before stomping away.

Kao grabbed his hair in frustration. He didn't even know why Third was so persistent on making him join the pageant.

***

Kao carefully settled at the back of the bus that would take him to the orphanage where he would be doing his community service. He could still hear Third berating him over the phone earlier. It seems that he was forced to compete in the pageant instead since Kao refused to comply with his persistent prodding.

With two hours to spare, Kao closed his eyes, but before he could get any rest, he heard a loud thud next to him. It was someone's bag.

"Care scooting over so I could sit?" an expressionless Pete stood before him. He had a cap covering half of his face but even so, Kao could easily recognize his voice.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Kao hissed. "Are you following me? Don't you have a pageant to attend to?"

Pete, however, sat down idly alongside him and refused to answer, forcing him to make room or else Pete would undoubtedly end up on his lap. The bus was quite packed and Pete just took the last available seat which happened to be beside him.

"I haven't slept last night so I'm gonna get some sleep. Wake me up when we get there," Pete mumbled before fully covering his face with the cap he was wearing.

Still puzzled, Kao attempted to pry but stopped upon hearing Pete's slow breathing indicating that he had already fallen asleep.

He chose to ignore Pete and attempted to sleep on his own, but eventually found that having Pete's head resting on his shoulder prevented him from falling asleep. He tried moving his shoulder in the attempt to get Pete to move away but failed.

"Come on. Do I have to babyshit you until here?" he muttered under his breath.

"Psh. I can take care of myself during the community service, okay? You don't have to babyshit me."

Kao almost muttered a cursed upon hearing Pete's low voice.

"You weren't sleeping?" he gasped and attempted to nudge Pete's head off his shoulder but Pete didn't even budge.

"I was but you were being too loud," he huffed before sitting properly on his seat.

Kao heaved a deep sigh of relief when Pete finally removed his head from his shoulder. Just then, the bus halted and on came an elderly woman. He was observing if someone would offer their seat to the woman but no one seemed to care. Instead, Kao carefully aided the woman towards the back of the bus and offered his seat.