BCJ 14 • closer

***

"Of all courses, why education?"

Kao slowly lifted his head and looked at Pete who was munching on an apple while lazily scrolling through his phone. 

They were currently at Pete's unit. Different instructional materials were scattered on the floor as he was preparing for his demonstration teaching for their final exams. He initially wanted to ask for Pete's help but he figured he would just do more damage than good so he just let him lay around. He was supposed to be doing it with Third but the latter said that he was going somewhere that day. 

"Why civil engineering?" he asked back. His question earned a frown from Pete. 

"Why not? My dad is an engineer so I guess I have to be one"

"But is it something that you actually want?"

Pete paused. The expressions on his face showed the answer Kao was looking for. 

"I chose education because it's something that I want."

"Psh. Nobody gets rich by being a teacher."

"Did I say I want to get rich?"

"Doesn't everyone want to? I mean, money makes everything possible. It can even buy happiness."

"That's not the case for everyone, Pete. In my case, I want to help children build their dreams. My ultimate goal is to build my own school so I could help those who have no means of getting education."

"All hail Saint Kao."

"Pssh. I least I have something I want to achieve in life. What about you? Aside from getting women to crawl into your bed, what else do you want to do in life?"

"Excuse me? Since when did I want women crawling into my bed?"

Kao shrugged.

"And where did you even hear that? Okay, I may look like a jerk ---"

"You are."

"Fine! You may think I am a jerk but never did I once bring a girl to my bed."

Kao suspiciously looked back at Pete who had a serious look on his face. And for a while, Pete might have convinced him.

"Because I bring them to hotels, not my bedroom!" Pete cackled before throwing himself into the couch. 

"Jerk," Kao muttered as he shook his head. 

He had seen Pete with different women at school so it was no shocker that he actually brought them to bed. 

"Is that what you really think of me?" Pete asked in a low voice after a moment of silence. 

"Well... I have heard stories of you jumping from one woman to another."

"They're the ones who get close to me Kao, not the other way around. And besides, who am I to reject them, right? Being the gentleman that I am, I need to entertain them. But I swear, never did I have sex with any of them."

Kao cocked a brow at Pete's statement. "Ooooohhh, really?" he taunted, not that he wanted to know about it but he was still a little bit curious about the authenticity of the rumors he heard around the campus. 

"What? Do you think I am lying to you right now? Come on. They're the ones who come to me.  And besides, I don't wanna be baby-trapped. Yes, contraceptives and condoms exist but they still have chances of failing! Like hell no! I'd rather be imprisoned than be taking care of a baby."

"So what about those girls claiming that you had relationships with them?"

"Pssh. Those are false claims. And besides, relationship? More of relationshit. I don't wanna end up like my dad," Pete scoffed.