BCJ 13 • child

***

"What the hell is wrong with you, Pete?! Let go of me!" Kao hissed as Pete aggressively dragged him out of the house. Kav tried stopping him but Pete just shoved him out of the way.

"I told you not to get close to him and now you're getting comfortable eating dinner with him at his family's house?? What are you now? Buddies or are you boyfriends?"

"Well, for one, Kav was kind enough to offer me a ride home because apparently someone disappeared without a trace! Second, I don't think my relationship with Kav concerns you."

"Kav? That's how you call him now? That guy has a complete name and now you're giving him nicknames?! Huh! Might as well live together if you're that close." 

"What are you really so furious about? Is it just because I didn't listen to what you said?"

"Yes! I specifically told you to stay away from him but you're doing the total opposite!"

"Because you're being unreasonable! Your relationship with him does not concern me just like how my relationship with him is out of your business."

"You're my babysitter, Kao! You should be siding with me. But here you are.. just.. just.." Pete exasperated as he ran his fingers through his hair. 

"So what now, huh? He's already got my mom, so he's going after you now? And then what? He's gonna take my dad and my friends and everyone around me, too?"

Seeing Pete's frustrated expression made Kao realize something.

Pete was afraid of being left alone. He was afraid someone would do what his mother did.

He felt a tug on his heart as he noticed Pete glancing behind his back, just where his mom was standing. He face softened for a while but immediately reverted back to being fierce as his gaze landed again on Kao.

"You are being paid by my dad so you better get your act together or I'll have your salary cut off," Pete warned before turning his back on Kao.

That statement alone was enough to replace the sympathy he was starting to feel for Pete. "Jerk."

***

He didn't see Pete for the entire week. He tried going to his condo unit but he was left unanswered no matter how many times he rang the door. He didn't wanna invade his privacy so even if he was given the passcode, he didn't even dare get inside his unit uninvited. 

He was still contemplating whether he would go to his babysitting duties on the weekend as they might end up in another argument. But he didn't wanna disappoint Pete's father and make him think that he was neglecting his duties, so, with clammy hands, he knocked thrice on Pete's door and waited for an answer.

Surprisingly, the door flung open, revealing Pete who was still in his boxers and with disheveled hair as if he had just gotten out of bed. 

"Good morning," Kao greeted lowly but Pete just ignored him and went back to his bedroom.

Kao could sense the heavy atmosphere between them but he just decided to dismiss it and proceeded to the kitchen where he expected it be the most cluttered space and he was not wrong. In the kitchen sink were several empty cupped noodles and some takeout boxes.