BCJ 4 • welcome to hell

***

Kao took several deep breaths before opening the door of Pete's unit. The hollers coming from the boys who were currently watching a soccer game greeted him. He internally muttered a curse.

He's used to chaos since he had worked in bars before but this time was a different type of chaos. Beers were spilled on the floor and chips were scattered everywhere, even on the sofa. Every now and then, the boys would scream their lungs out before smashing their fists on the nearby sofa.

He just decided to ignore them and tried to remain unnoticed as he made his way towards the kitchen. He succeeded in doing so but he unfortunately failed to avoid the pillow that was thrown his way, thus hitting him square on the head.

"Hey! Faster you slowpoke! We've been waiting since forever!" John, the one whom he presumed to be the one who threw the pillow, screamed at him.

With clenched jaws, he harshly placed the bag containing additional beer cans and snacks on the table. The guys immediately feasted on the beer, spilling some on the floor as they violently shook the cans before opening them.

He could only shake his head in frustration as he glanced at Pete who had a smug look on his face. Kao was pretty sure Pete had it all planned.

With heavy footsteps, he went to the kitchen only to be horrified by the scene he saw. On the sink was a pile of take-out containers and some of them were even on the floor. A box of pizza was left open on the counter while some beer cans were scattered everywhere.

He tried to compose himself and started picking them up one by one. Not even a speck of dust was there when he went out to buy more beer and coming back to a messy kitchen just irritated him so much. But he had no choice as he was paid to take care of the jerk.

"Hey! Stone-face!" John screamed from the living room and by the looks of it, he was referring to Kao.

Kao pretended not to hear a thing and just continued cleaning. But as he was picking up the cans from the floor, he felt a presence from his back.

He rolled his eyes as he came face to face with Pete who had an unlit cigarette stick between his lips.

"I can't find my lighter. You go buy one," he said lowly, the cigarette stick moving along with his lips as he spoke.

Kao stood straight and crossed his arms. He had enough of Pete's childish acts that if he ever tried to make him leave, he'd do so.

"No," he bluntly said with a raised brow.

Pete was definitely caught off guard with his answer. He glanced at his wristwatch before grabbing his bag from the counter and moved past Pete, deliberately hitting his shoulder.

"I'm leaving. My shift is done. You better clean your mess up if you don't wanna sleep smelling like shit."

Pete took a step towards him but he just rolled his eyes at him and headed towards the door, not even minding the side comments of the guys who tried to mockingly stop him from going home.

***

"So how was the babysitting job?" Third excitedly asked over the phone.

"I'd rather call it babyshitting," he grumbled as he grabbed the laundry and started folding them.

"Why? What happened? Is the kid you're looking after that much of a brat? You're used to looking after kids so I don't think you will have any problems."

"He's much worse than a brat, Third. He's a jerk and when I say jerk, I mean it in the most hateful way."

"Wait, who's this kid that you detest him so much?"