BCJ 10 • duet

***

Kao felt uncomfortable as he watched the empty bed in the room. It was already 11:20 in the evening but there was no sign of Pete; not even his shadow was on sight. He wanted to search for him, but he didn't wanna look like an obsessed boyfriend who couldn't get his lover by his side.

He wanted to believe that he was just out there, spending time with Peter but he didn't wanna make a fool out of himself.

And he didn't even know why he was feeling that way.

"You're just concerned about him, Kao. You went here together so of course, you have to take care of him."

"No! He's old enough. He doesn't even need babysitting! Stop acting like he's a five-year old, Kao!"

"But he can be careless sometimes. And it's gonna be me who will be held responsible if something happens to him."

"Come on. Why would it even be your responsibility?"

"Of course, I am babysitting him!"

"Oh, are you really?"

"I don't know any----- AAHHHH!! Why am I even talking to myself?! Fine! Fine! I'll look for him!"

He immediately grabbed his phone and headed to the door but even before he could hold the knob, the door flung open and in came a drunk Pete.

"Where have you been?!"

Kao couldn't help but exclaim as he saw Pete's current state. His hair was in great disarray and there were lipstick marks on the collar of his shirt. He could even see a small hickey on the side of his neck.

And for some reason, he felt a slight pang in his chest.

"Shhh. Why are you beeing shooo loud? I am going to bhhed. I'm shleepy ash hell."

"We're at an orphanage, Pete! How could you even think of getting drunk?! The kids may see you!"

"It's almhost midnight. And beshides, we stayed shomewhere secluded, okhay? Now, shut up. I'm sleeping."

"Who were you with?!"

Kao wanted to grab Pete by the neck and shake the answer out of him but he already heard his loud snores, indicating that he was fast asleep.

He had the strongest urge to kick Pete in the gut, scream at him, and maybe give him a few punches on the face, but instead, he removed his shoes and covered him with the blanket.

"Fuck you, Pete."

***

He scowled as he watched Pete happily playing with the kids. Surprisingly, he looked fine. Not even a soul could tell that he was just drunk last night.

And he hated Pete for that.

"Pete's gonna melt if you keep your stares any longer," Sandy's voice pulled him back to reality.

"I-I, uh, I'm just watching the kids. They might get hurt from playing or something," he nervously reasoned out. It was the truth, okay fine, the half of it.