Chapter Thirty-Eight

I wake up to something vibrating and still foggy with sleep, I can't seem to figure out what it could be.

Of course, my phone. I reach over to grab it before it can wake up Finn too. "Hello?" I whisper.

"Hey, it's me," Paige says, "Open the door."

She hangs up before I have a chance to respond, and looking at the display screen I see that it is only six-thirty in the morning. Too early to leave for school. I pull my phone off its charger realizing that Finn must have brought it upstairs and plugged it in for me last night and climb out of bed as quietly as possible while glancing over at him. He is absolutely adorable when he's sleeping, and as I continue to look at him lying in my bed, I realize I didn't have a nightmare last night either.

Leaving him in bed asleep, I quietly rush downstairs to open the door for Paige. "Finally!" she shouts.

"Shhh! Finn is still asleep," I warn her. I close the door and start to make my way into the kitchen desperately in need of coffee.

"And before you say a word, no nothing happened," I add, "I even slept in my clothes." I gesture to my wrinkled outfit.

When she doesn't respond I really take in her expression for the first time. Plus, the fact that she is here so early in the morning. Something was wrong.

"Tyler!" I drop the coffee can onto the counter and feel the blood drain from my face.

"Right here," he calls raising his arm up so I can see him from his spot on the couch.

I nearly collapse with relief, as he stands up and makes his way over to join us in the kitchen. "Where were you last night?" I ask him.

"I 'slept' on the couch," he says making air quotes around the word slept. "You know since there was someone else laying in your bed," he adds.

I open my mouth to respond to his sour comment but get cut off before I have the chance. "Guys hello! I'm here at this god-awful hour for a reason you know!" Paige says grabbing our attention, "I had a vision."

She tells us about waking up to a premonition of me standing in my backyard when someone, or something, comes for me.

Something attacks me?!" I shriek. "Well, what is it?"

"I never saw exactly what it was, and I'm not sure when it happens, but I do think it will be soon."

"So, you just don't go into the backyard. It seems simple enough to me," Tyler says, but I can tell he is freaking, too.

"It's not actually that easy, Ty. If I avoid the yard, then the vision will just change, and it will come for me somewhere else."

"She's right," Paige says, looking around for where Tyler might be.

"But like you said the vision will change, so Paige will see and be able to warn you again," he adds.

"And then what? I just live the rest of my life waiting for her to tell me where not to go?"

Tyler's face falls when he realizes I am right.

"I don't think that would work anyways," Paige says piecing together the conversation. "That would be putting a lot of faith in my ability to control my visions. I wouldn't want to bet your life on those odds."

"Doesn't matter. Like I said, I won't play hide and seek with whatever this thing is for the rest of my life," I say feeling determined. "We are going to come for it first."