Chapter Nine

I end up running all the way home. Another good thing about a small town is it's hard to get lost. By the time I made it to the end of the street I already knew how to get back to the school and from there my house.

When I get home I am thankful to see that my dad's truck is missing from the driveway, which means I won't have to try and contain my panic from parental eyes. I get to the front door and turn the handle.

"Shit!" My keys are in my backpack, which is in Paige's car. Well, isn't this great?

I go through the gate and around to the back door. Maybe luck will be on my side, and my dad forgot to lock it after grilling dinner last night. I twist the knob and... "Yes!"

I manage to get inside. Although I guess worst case scenario, I would just call for Tyler and have him ghost through to unlock it. I'm still glad it didn't come to that though. After what I did to that rabbit, trying to summon anything would be very dangerous right now. Once inside I head straight for the kitchen, and with a shaky hand, pour myself a glass of water from the tap. I down in it a few gulps then slam the glass down while trying to catch my breath. I never was the athletic type and today I am remembering why that is. I am starting to get a second glass of water when a ring on the doorbell has me nearly jumping out of my skin.

"Geez, Alice, Get a grip already. It's not like a zombie bunny followed you here and choose to ring the bell," I say to myself. Shaking off my paranoia, I make my way to the front door and check the peephole. I should have expect this.

"Oh my gosh, Alice!" Paige flings herself over the doorway and wraps me in a big hug the second the door is open.

I freak and run away from her (twice in one day), and instead of being mad or even the slightest bit annoyed, she seems genuinely concerned. I truly don't deserve her as a friend.

"Paige I'm so sorry," I begin, but she cuts me off.

"Don't you dare apologize, just tell me what happened."

Yeah, easier said than done. A glance over her head reveals Tyler walking up the driveway. He is breathing heavily with his hands on his hips like he also just ran the whole way here. Drama queen! We both know ghosts don't breathe or get tired. Nice try Ty!

"Alice?" Paige brings my attention back to her. "Seriously what happened?

"Nothing really. I just, umm," I stammer, "I didn't like seeing that little thing laying there dead is all."

She narrows her eyes at me. "Right. Alice, that rabbit was moving. I saw it"

"Oh good. So, it wasn't actually dead. That's great news!" I say, feigning relief. I have a hard time making eye contact, and I know she can tell.

"No, I checked, it was definitely dead."

"I don't understand Paige. If it was dead then how did it move?"

"That's what I want to know, Alice."

"How am I supposed to know? Maybe it was just maggots or something then." Inwardly I cringe at the picture.

"Right, maggots, I'm sure that was it. I mean there must be some rational explanation, right?"

"Right," I agree, and start to walk back into the kitchen for that second glass of water. It is suddenly very hot in here, and I really hoped we could drop this conversation now.

"Just like with that freak wind today. In the hallway," she continues.

My head jerks back to look at her, and I quickly do my best to recover and seem casual. So much for dropping the conversation.