Chapter Twenty-Four

After eating dinner with my dad, I stayed downstairs to try and spend some more time with him before leaving for his trip, while Tyler chooses to wait for me in my room not wanting to intrude. Even though I told him how absurd he was being.

We sit on the couch watching whatever is on the television, and I make sure to laugh every time the studio audience does. I can't let him see me in any kind of funk, or he might end up canceling his trip over it.

We are on our third show when the doorbell rings. I stand up thankful for the distraction and walk to the door without even thinking about who it could be, so, I am shocked when I find Finn standing on the other side. After pretending I didn't exist and disappearing from class for the second day in a row, I can honestly say I wasn't expecting him to have the audacity to show up this time.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him with a voice full of anger. "Or do you conveniently not remember again?" I cross my arms over my chest, waiting for his response.

"No, nothing like that," he answers while shoving his hands in his pockets and hanging his head.

"So, you do remember blowing me off at lunch, and ditching out on school this time?

"Look, Alice, I'm really sorry, okay."

"No, not okay. Where were you, Finn?"

"I- I can't tell you," he says so softly that I barely hear the words.

"I don't understand. Was it because you were hooking up?"

I hear my voice raise in panic as I ask him this. I can't believe I never even thought to ask Tyler what the girl looked like. I mean, I know he's seen Callie before, but he may not have realized at the time if it was her.

"What? No! Why would you even think that?" He sounds genuinely shocked that I would accuse him, but to me it just makes him sound more guilty.

"Maybe because Callie was hanging all over you at lunch, which is also when you decided to start ignoring me. And then you don't show up for the last period. Again...." I trail off letting him connect those dots on his own.

"I promise you I wasn't with her, but I still can't tell you where I was."

"Whatever, I don't care anymore. Do whatever you want with whoever you want."

"Alice, please," he starts.

"And as of now, we aren't friends either," I say while trying to close the door on him, but he shoots his hand out stopping me.

"Please don't say that."

He looks up to the sky debating what to do next while keeping his hand firmly in place to keep me from shutting him out. When he looks back at me and I can't tell if his eyes are actually watering or if it's some trick of the light. "I will tell you everything," he promises. "Can I come in?"

I hear my dad laugh at something on the T.V. and for the briefest of seconds I consider telling him no, but I can't help it. I need to know who he was with, and why he has been so hot and cold with me. Even after everything that has happened, I still can't help but feel that there is more to Finn than just a scumbag or a player. I'm not sure if his excuses will be enough to make me forgive him, but he owes me an explanation regardless. Only then can I decide if he is full of shit or not.

Of course, even if he has a legitimate reason for his behavior, I still might not let him back into my life. Finn Sawyer may be the only boy to ever make feel weak in the knees, but I refuse to be treated like this any longer. After tonight he will either convince me that these feelings are real and go both ways, or we will part ways for good and the most he will get from me is a casual hello in English class.

I step aside to let him walk through the doorway, knowing this isn't going to be pleasant, but the sooner I get him past my father, the sooner I can get my answers. He passes by me, and I notice that this is the first time he hasn't completely reeked of cigarette smoke. Curious, I add it to the mental list of things to ask him about.

Once he's inside, I give myself one last chance to change my mind but choose to close the door. He sighs in relief, and I take a few deep, calming breaths before mustering up the courage to turn towards the living room, and face my father.

"Hey, Dad," I call out. "There's somebody here I would like you to meet."