Chapter Fifteen

After a quick stop to put away our backpacks, Paige declares that she is starving. Apparently she always is after using her powers so she is in a hurry to get to the cafeteria. I, on the other hand, feel more like vomiting after the morning I've had. Finding out my new friend has also has superpowers. Seeing Tyler on the bridge. Hearing that Finn Sawyer is going to kiss me. There's no way I could eat anything right now after all that, but I go with her anyways.

After hustling through the food line, where Paige loads her tray with what seems like everything available, we make our way over to the wall. However, the sight of Finn perched on the ledge, makes me stop in my tracks.

"I guess it's time to see how it plays out," Paige smiles and winks at me. "I'm just going to go eat at the drama table today," she trails off, already backing up in that direction.

I hesitate, wondering if he is there intentionally to wait for me, or if this is just a coincidence. Not knowing what else to do, I slowly make my way over to the beautiful boy currently sitting in my usual spot. If I can even call it that after only three days that is. As I get closer, I notice he has an open book sitting in his lap, and it appears to be a textbook. Interesting, I didn't think he cared about schoolwork.

Feeling bold, I step up right in front of him and put my hands over the pages to get his attention. He looks up startled, but as soon as he sees it's me, he smiles and closes the book. Setting it on the ledge beside him, he then reaches up to yank out some earbuds I didn't notice he was wearing.

"Wow! I didn't expect to see you," he says shocked.

"Clearly," I smirk. "What are you doing sitting up here alone, instead of over with your friends?" I gesture to the group on the other side of the wall behind him.

All of them laugh while shoving each other back and forth, and passing a couple of smokes around in a circle. He looks over at them for a moment, before turning his attention back to me.

"Just felt like a change of pace," he says while shooting me one of his trademark half-smiles.

"In my spot?" I challenge. "Even though you weren't expecting me?"

"Your spot? That's quite a claim for somebody who is still on their first week here."

I prepare myself for another bickering match but before I have a chance to respond he smiles at me, and I feel myself start to relax. "Or maybe I was secretly hoping you would show," he confesses, looking me right in the eyes.

He continues to stare at me without breaking eye contact for what feels like eternity, and I feel myself starting to get lightheaded from the intensity of his gaze.

"And what is that you're reading?" I blurt out in an attempt to break the trance, while also reaching over to pick up the book lying next to his leg.

"AP Trig?" I ask dumbfounded. I read the title again to make sure I'm not seeing things. "Did you pick up the wrong book by mistake or something?" I joke.

"No, smart-ass. It's my book," he says, snatching it out of my hand.

"You are in AP classes?" I ask, clearly astonished. "No way!"

"Yes, way. Maybe you just don't know me as well as you thought you did." He keeps his tone teasing, but I can't help but think he might be right. Maybe I have misjudged him. About a lot of things.

I catch the sound of my name, and a glance over the wall to Finn's friend group reveals the one and only Callie. She is talking to another girl but looking straight at me. Her arms are planted on her hips, and the term 'if looks could kill' suddenly comes to mind. Flashbacks of Finn and Callie together begin to invade my vision. His arm around her, and her hand in his back pocket. I feel the jealousy bubble up and I try and take a deep breath, not wanting my anger to cause any kind of supernatural disaster. How come every time I start to think that he might not be all bad, something has to come along and remind me otherwise.