Chapter 30

The ceremony was lovely - my only bugbear was that I didn't get to have my traditional sneak peek at the groom's happy face

The ceremony was lovely - my only bugbear was that I didn't get to have my traditional sneak peek at the groom's happy face. Mainly because of Declan's big mug being in the way!

And, as anticipated, I cried. I tried to keep the tears inside my eyes so as not to disturb my perfect make-up . . . But they eventually leaked a little, so I tried to dab at them delicately with a tissue. Ric, who had finally let go of me when we stood up for the bride's entrance, noticed the action and stroked my arm lightly to grab my attention. "You okay?" He asked softly. His eyes were caring. I nodded, touched at the worried frown creasing his brow.

"I always cry at weddings," I whispered back. "I'm a sap when it comes to this stuff." He slipped his hand back into mine at that.

"It's not sappy," he assured me, his breath warm against my cheek. "I think it's sweet." And I could have melted into a puddle in the floor at those words.

I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that Ricardo Parker would actually be Ideal Boyfriend Material if his behaviour so far today is anything to go by. He is attentive, surprisingly good at small talk, and hilariously funny. If he isn't holding my hand, he's usually finding some way to touch me. He rarely leaves my side unless it's to fetch me another drink. Oh, and once to go for a pee, which is fair enough.

That damn Anticipation is ramping up once again.

"You'd make a good professional escort," I tell him now, three glasses of free fizz having significantly loosened my tongue. We're alone at this point, sitting in a corner of the hotel garden as photographs of the wedding party are taken and everyone mingles. Of course, as soon as I say those words, I want to grab them and stuff them back in my mouth.

But he laughs, much to my relief. "Maybe I could consider it as a backup career if I'm ever made redundant."

"I'll give you a five-star recommendation if it helps at all," I say lightly. He trails a hand along my back and smiles into my eyes. God, he is just perfection.

"The problem is, I'm not sure I'd want any other clients." His voice is husky. Meaningful. And there he goes again: giving me hope. Making me feel all the things. Forcing me to yearn. Turning me inside out emotionally.

Also, I think my knickers just dissolved.

"Oh yeah?" I ask, and he nods slowly, that grin growing wider and sexier by the second. "In that case, you might need to throw in some added extras to sweeten the deal and make me pay more," I say, not sure whether to cringe at my words or be impressed with myself. Judging by his reaction, I'll go with the latter.