Chapter 12

The opening credits of The Chase blast out, as I switch on the TV and flop into the couch in the living room

The opening credits of The Chase blast out, as I switch on the TV and flop into the couch in the living room. (I was right, by the way. It is the comfiest sofa in the world.)

The Chase is one of my favourite TV quiz shows. I'm obsessed with trivia, always have been. When I was younger, I memorised most of the capital cities of the world, just for fun. I guess I've always been a bit of a smarty-pants, on top of all my other Good Girl faults.

The door opens a moment later, and Ric wanders in. He settles himself at the other end of the couch, and I offer him some Haribo from the bowl I'm currently cradling. "This is starting to become some sort of routine," I remark dryly, as he pops a sweet in his mouth. "I thought you told me you hardly spent any time in here."

"It's not as much fun to watch quiz shows alone; everyone knows that," he replies, reaching for the remote to turn up the volume on Bradley Walsh's voice. He shoots me a sidelong glance, a knowing smirk lifting his mouth. "I'm doing you a favour here. How else will you know how much smarter I am than you?"

"Yeah yeah, whatever." I have to admit he's right though . . . About the first part at least. It's much more fun getting to show off my general knowledge to someone else, rather than shouting the answers at the TV by myself. And when I impress him with an obscure answer, it feels strangely satisfying.

I have to admit I'm also dazzled a little bit by Ric's level of intelligence . . . Our specialist categories don't overlap, but we have a broad range of general knowledge between the two of us. But when I suggested (only half-jokingly) two days ago that we should apply to go on a quiz show together, he'd laughed at me.

"We'd end up in a fight on-air because we couldn't agree on an answer," he had tutted, shaking his head. "And then you'd probably try to murder me." He maybe had a point.

I know, you're wondering what's going on here, aren't you? When last we touched on the situation with Ric, I was worried about ever having to face him again after he was forced to reject my slightly tipsy advances - now we're watching quiz shows together? I guess it does seem a bit of a leap.

I think he sensed I was still feeling awkward about The Unfortunate Incident, and that's why last Wednesday evening he came into the living room while I was getting my Chase fix.

Of course, being Ric, he didn't immediately alert me to his presence; instead he watched while I swore loudly and repeatedly at the contestant who'd decided to take the minus offer.

"She'll probably not get through to the Final Chase anyway, if that's any consolation" he had said eventually, making me jump. "Did you not just see her Cashbuilder? Brad asked her who the patron saint of Scotland was, and she said St Haggis!"

"Do you always like to sneak up on people, or is just me who gets that treat?" I grumbled. Deep down, I was kind of relieved though that we'd got that first face-to-face interaction over with. Normal service could hopefully resume.