Chapter 28

It is a sea-green midi-dress, and it might just be the nicest item of clothing I've ever owned

It is a sea-green midi-dress, and it might just be the nicest item of clothing I've ever owned. And I don't mean to brag, but I do have some very nice clothes.

The bardot neckline is flattering to both my shoulders and my cleavage. It makes my (admittedly fairly small) boobs look bigger without exposing too much. The rest of the dress hugs my waist and hips before flaring out slightly, and the slit up the left side is understatedly sexy. The material has the slightest sheen of glitter to it, almost unnoticeable except under certain lights.

It seemed too good to be true when I spotted it in the ASOS sale last week. Especially as it was still available in a UK size 12 - nearly any time I spot an item of clothing I like in a sale, online or otherwise, its only usually the teeny tiny size 6s that are still available.

Of course, as tends to happen when I buy clothes online, I figured there was a good chance it wouldn't actually fit. Be too big around the tits, or unflattering to my tummy, or give me a camel toe . . . Can a dress give you camel toe? Anyway, my fears were unfounded, as the stars had aligned and the dress fit like the proverbial dream.

It's late on Saturday morning, and I'm over at Lou's. She's doing my hair and make-up for the wedding, which is a godsend as I'm shit at making myself glam - Lou is practically an expert though! She actually briefly considered becoming a hairdresser and then a MUA, undertook some training for both, and then decided - in typical curveball Lou fashion - that she wanted to get a law degree. Which I'm sure will be of great benefit to our legal system once she qualifies . . . But, in the meantime, I'm more interested in her other skills.

As she curls my hair, I fill her in on the news from the previous two days - Ric being off at the quiz, followed by my lunch with Beth yesterday. "What do you think?" I ask after I've finished unloading. I can hear the trepidation in my voice. As you know, Lou doesn't mince words.

To my surprise, though, her face is thoughtful as she absorbs what I've told her. "Poor guy," she says eventually. She actually even sounds sympathetic.

"Who are you, and what have you done to the real Lou?" I blurt out, and she laughs.

"I like Ric," she replies simply. "I know you and him didn't get off to the best start - which is understandable - but he's been nothing but great with me, and I hated the idea he was messing with your head. But now we know his back-story. I can kinda see where he's coming from. Can't you?"

I nod. Then, wince, as Lou tugs my hair sharply to warn me not to move my head. "The thing is, I feel he's tarred me with the same brush as his ex now. Which is an absolute pain in the arse as I am honestly sure I am over Declan. Ric isn't a rebound." I bite my lip. "If anything, I think I've been into him from that first meeting too . . . I just didn't want to admit it to myself until now."

"I thought so, too." Lou admits. "The way you spoke about him, even when you were slagging him off for eating your pizza, or chocolate, or pasta, or whatever he'd stolen that particular day . . . I was pretty sure you fancied him from the outset. When you told me you'd tried to kiss him, I wasn't remotely surprised."