A shocking revelation

Bluebeard led Francis through the neighborhood, telling her a small story, now and then. Francis listened while looking around. Despite the unpleasant gift from last night, the vicinity was nice-looking. Still, this neighborhood has gained a reputation for housing people of interest. She thought to herself. I better be more careful from now on. Unless Mama decides to sell the building.

Interrupting her internal conversation, Bluebeard decided to talk about the altercation in the park. "Hey, Francis. Back there with Kong, you seemed to recognize his identical playmates. Care to elaborate?" He asked her.

"Hmm? Oh, The Herman twins." He nodded. "My co-workers and I have had the displeasure of having them attend our restaurant," Francis clarified to the old man. "Although I've never met nor heard of Kong until now. Does he accompany them often?"

"It's the other way around. Kong is their Boss. Those two don't even piss without Kong's permission."

"What do they do?" Francis asked curiously.

"Hard to say. Nothing decent or that critical. Otherwise, I would have locked those assholes up and thrown away the key by now."

"I wonder if that's changed," she thought to herself. "Bluebeard, I know the Herman's are quick to pick a fight. Yet, they've never proven to be lethal."

"Hell, the smallest of my staff was able to beat them." She thought. "Kong, on the other hand, acts as though he never lost a fight, and by the size of him, it's not hard to see why," Bluebeard smirks at her observation and starts laughing. "What's so funny?"

"Kong tends to run from a fight he can't finish. The big bastard is pretty light on his feet." joked Bluebeard.

"Oh, I guess Kong is not as big and bad as he Proclaims. Plus if he was the suspect why would he tell us about Purple if he knows Bluebeard's a detective?" She thought.

Seeing her quiet expression he speaks. "I get where you're going with this Francis. Kong's the biggest ass in town, literally and figuratively. But aside from the usual fist fight Kong's never come close to killing someone."

"Could have fooled me, he looked eager for a fight when he saw me."

"Like I said ass. Don't worry, stay clear of him, and he won't hurt ya." the old cop assured her as they resumed walking.

That evening, Francis and Bluebeard arrived at a tall, old, and familiar house. "Bluebeard, why are we back at my family's restaurant?" without pausing to respond, Bluebeard kept moving for the door.

Irritated Francis was about to ask again but stopped when something snagged her gaze.

In the attic, Francis could see a blue light mildly flashing and hear other cats from the same level. She looked at Bluebeard with a mistrusting expression as they ascended inside and up the steps. "I guess I should have told you. There's a church that holds sermons in this place." He explained. "Especially after there's been a loss. They pray to this dead prophet called Claudandus."

Francis was confused. "I never heard of such a religion. Was he a saint of some kind or a god?" She asked.

"According to the sect leader, he was a normal cat that saved everyone at the cost of his own life," he explained as they entered the attic. Hundreds of cats were already sitting, including Kong and the Herman twins. There was a machine in the back of the room, with a large box to its left. Sitting on the box was a large Persian cat. "That's the sect's leader, Joker," Bluebeard whispered in the girl's ear. He looks similar to Kong. I wonder if they're related? "He always greets new members, so when he sees you, he'll want to meet you afterward."