36: Lukas

So sorry this is so late.

____

June, 2019

When the familiar forest edge lining one side of the tracks and the red-brick station bordering the other filled my sight as the train came to a stop at its final destination, my stomach began to churn.

This is a bad idea, I immediately thought as the doors flew open.

Olivia was already standing next to me, waiting for me to get out. But my body was frozen in place.

I was lucky last time when I brought her here... though she lost Ben.

With only the two of us now... was she doomed to die here too?

Or was it finally my time to go?

"Hey," she said softly, taking me by surprise.

Head jolting her way, my brows pinched together as I assessed her expression: sorrowful but understanding.

"Nothing is going to go wrong. I promise," she said quietly before giving my shoulder an unelectrified touch of reassurance.

The hands I hadn't realised I was clenching against the seat in front—prohibiting her from passing me—finally released their tension. I heaved a deep breath I also didn't notice I was holding and let her emerald eyes calm me.

How did she know what was bothering me?

"Come on," she said. "Stephen's waiting."

Reluctantly, I got up from my seat, still without saying a word, and slipped into the aisle. Ignoring her protests about getting her own luggage, I busied myself with pulling her bag down from above and threw it over my shoulder. Gripping the straps as I staggered down the aisle was a helpful distraction for the nerves.

Why do you even care if this gets her killed? the familiar voice in my head questioned. It's not like you didn't warn her before.

Because, I replied back to it as I took a step off the train into the brisk summer night outside, I may resent her for leaving, but I still don't want a world where she doesn't exist. I don't want another death on my hands.

That's the thing. It wouldn't be on your hands. It would be on h—

"Lukas! Olivia!" a familiar, deep voice called from the middle of the platform, cutting my internal debate short.

My head whipped around, seeking him out. I had texted him on the train to Frankfurt—after the talk with Olivia—to warn him of our arrival.

He had been quick to reply that he'd pick us up; though even without typing it, I could tell from his choice of words—and the expression on his face now—he also was wary of us being here.

"Hi Stephen," Olivia said a little timidly as we approached him.

But as his gaze locked on the fairy, a warm smile consumed its gauntness, all traces of tiredness and mourning evaporating from his body as he held his arms open. "Ollie," he said, eyes softening. "Come here."

I watched the copper-haired girl take a hesitant step closer to him, extending her shaky arms around him. But as he pulled her in and gripped her close, I watched all the tension eventually heave out from her body as she returned the hug more warmly.

"I don't blame you, okay?" he whispered in her ear so quietly I knew it was only meant to be heard by her.

Nonetheless, I eavesdropped anyway, eyes glancing this way and that as I pretended I gave them their privacy.