chapter 3

"They say they are just mythical creatures, oh but I know darn well that they do exist, they're just hiding in deep, dark places that we'll never know of, and in particularly, mermen. You see, when I was a child I've heard tons of stories about merfolk, but I never believed any one of them until I saw one myself. I remember that day as if it was yesterday, I was strolling down the shore on a very dark night and I remember taking a swim, I was six years old, a very stubborn, hyperactive child, might I add. I, of course, accidentally gulped salty water and almost drowned. I felt really lightheaded as I struggled to stay alive when I saw someone, something beautiful, majestic, beyond words, magically push me back to shore. Nobody believed me, they say it was a kid's imagination, oh but I know what I saw. I saw a merman." Lisa, Cecelia's grandma, blinked her wrinkly eyes as her hand rested on her heart. "After all those years, I tried everything to see him again, but it was no use. It was a one time thing." She shook her head in disappointment. "However, I believe that there are still a couple of mermen lurking in these dark blue seas, up to this day."

Cecelia stared at her grandma with wide-open eyes as she struggled to keep her mouth from falling open. "You really believe they exist, huh?"

Just as Lisa was about to answer, Thomas who was also listening this whole time, interrupted to ask. "What about mermaids?" He chewed his bottom lip with excitement as he hugged the wooden chair he was sitting on.

"Mermaids, unfortunately, do not exist anymore. Only mermen. Lonely mermen," Lisa sighed sadly.

Thomas pouted, crossing his arms against his chest. Cecelia huffed, hoping her grandma won't plant stupid, irrational thoughts in Thomas's fragile mind. Jim rolled his eyes. "Oh stop it with your nonsense, Lisa!" He exclaimed angrily.

Rosie sighed deeply as she glared at Jim, not wanting him to hurt Lisa's feelings.

"Oh, come on, They should know that merfolk and all that shit doesn't exist!" He sucked in a shaky breath. "You want us to lose them just like we lost Sasha?" He said in a low tone, almost in a whisper.

"What?" Rosie mumbled, swallowing hard.

"Nothing," Jim gave her a weak smile, not wanting to talk about his beloved, departed daughter.

Not seeming to be paying attention to Jim and Rosie's conversation, Lisa continued talking to the two, specifically to Cecelia. "In this book, you'll find out all you need to know about mermen, about their existence. They say they live in these waters." Lisa motioned to the ocean that was visible through the translucent window behind them.

Cecelia pressed her lips together as she held the book in her lap. "Is this book even based on facts or what?"

Lisa chuckled. "You'll see. You're the one who chooses to believe or not."

Cecelia nodded her head slowly, knowing that she'll never believe in the existence of mermen. People would think she has finally lost it. Memories of her recent dream instantly flooded her mind as she thought of the enchanting voice she heard calling her. It had felt so real yet it had intimidated her. She involuntarily shuddered as she shook off her thoughts, she certainly didn't want to think about that voice again, especially due to the fact that it makes her feel all warm and tingly inside. She wanted to tell her grandma about her dream, but chose not to. She really didn't want to hear any more crap.

The loud sound of thunder filled their ears as Thomas hid under the covers. He whimpered, clutching the sheets tightly. Cecelia sighed and stared at the raindrops that were sliding down the window. It was raining heavily and the palm trees were swaying from side to side due to the strong, chilly wind. Guess I can't go for a swim tonight. Cecelia furrowed her brows, no, she wouldn't let a mere storm stop her from swimming. Standing up, she looked at the ocean through the window as she eyed the wild waves intently. The ocean looked very dangerous as the wind blew over the water, making loud sounds that seemed like cries. Clenching her jaw, she knew that she'd be the biggest idiot if she went for a swim in such a weather. "When will it stop?" Thomas's trembling voice interrupted her thoughts as he pleaded her with his eyes to tell him that the thunder will stop soon.

"I don't know, Tommie," Cecelia muttered and added, wanting to cheer him up. "You should go to sleep, because tomorrow someone's gonna learn how to swim!"

Thomas's face instantly brightened up as he got out of the covers hurriedly. "Is it me? It is me, right?" He smiled widely.

"You betcha," Cecelia winked at him, tucking him in bed.

Drifting off to sleep, Cecelia pressed her cheek to her pillow, thinking of that one voice that she can't seem to forget. She smiled to herself as she replayed the words she had heard this masculine, entrancing voice say. "Come to me."

Cecelia woke up in the middle of the night as soon as she noticed that the sound of the rain pouring down has ceased, meaning that, the storm has stopped. Yawning, she checked the time which read, 3:40 a.m. She quickly got out of bed, got dressed in her favorite swimsuit, and silently yet cautiously made her way out the front door. She had to be quick before anyone notices she's gone. Gazing at the ocean in front of her, she took a deep breath and stepped in the water.

———————————————————————————————————————

A/N:

GET READY FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER ;) AND SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING :S

LOVE U GUYS!