chapter 2

Cecelia crossed her arms as she watched her brother jump up and down on his bed, he was definitely wide awake. He was waving his hands up in the air with his teddy bear wrapped tightly around his fingers. Cecelia smiled warmly at Thomas as she took in his adorable features. Strands of his honey-colored, curly hair were bouncing up and down as he hopped on his bed. His smiling, dark, green eyes looking straight at her. "Mama is coming today!"

Cecelia got up, straightening her bed sheets. "Yep, little fella."

"I'm not little!" Thomas shrieked, glaring at her.

Cecelia rolled her eyes and sighed, heading to the bathroom. Closing the door, Thomas followed her and stood in the way with both his arms on his hips. "I saw you."

She tapped her foot against the floor tiles. "Huh?"

Thomas placed his finger against his lips. "Where do you go every night? I saw you twice - no, three times-" He paused, counting on his fingers.

Cecelia pressed her lips together, crouching to his level. "It's a secret, Thomas. So, you can't tell anyone, okay?"

Thomas's eyes widened as he nodded his head rather quickly. "I promise."

Cecelia grinned, knowing that he won't tell. "You do know how much I love to swim, right?"

"Uh-huh," He mumbled, listening.

"Well, I just sneak out and go for a swim, that's all," Cecelia stood up and turned the faucet on.

He furrowed his eyebrows together. "B-but it's really dangerous!"

Cecelia gritted her teeth, hating all the crap that her dad had put in her little brother's head. He doesn't even know how to swim because of him. Her father wouldn't let him. He was afraid that he'll end up like Cecelia and their departed, older sister, Sasha. They were both so passionate about the ocean. Cecelia is and will still be. "No, it's not once you know how to swim cautiously. I'll teach you, don't worry."

"You will?" He gasped, not believing her.

"Yes I will. But remember, this is all a big secret. No one should know, especially dad," Cecelia warned him. She wanted to teach him, because he has the right to. It's the most beautiful experience ever, and her dad shouldn't take that away from Thomas.

A wide smile crept onto his lips as he clapped his hands and rushed back to his bed, leaving her some privacy. Cecelia chuckled and got herself ready. She washed her face, braided her light, brown hair, put her favorite, dark, purple lipstick on, wore a short, white dress, and made her way to the kitchen. Her father, Jim, was polishing his shoes with one hand, and with the other, shoving a spoon of oats in his mouth. Cecelia gripped the hem of her dress tightly. "Hi dad."

He looked up at her, giving her a faint smile. "Good morning, angel."

Cecelia hummed as she stared at her feet, she really hated the awkward silence that always engulfed them. Jim rarely talked, she'd be the one to usually start a conversation. Just as she was about to speak, her father murmured. "Go change. A storm's coming up tonight."

Cecelia bit her bottom lip. "Sure..." Her voice trailed away.

Jim sighed deeply as he watched her leave the room. Marching through the door, she halted in her position once she noticed that her brother wasn't in their room. She looked around and called out his name, wondering if he was playing hide and seek again. She always told him never to disappear like that, but as stubborn as he was, he never listened. "Thomas!" Cecelia yelled out over and over. Reaching their bedroom window, she looked through it and squinted her eyes. Thomas was crouching in the sand ahead. He was at the shore. Oh, thank goodness. She was glad that he wasn't in the water. Cecelia hurriedly opened the window and climbed down through it. She hopped to the ground, and rushed towards her brother.

Cecelia rested her hands on her knees and breathed heavily. "What are you doing out here?"

Thomas whipped his head round, clutching the seashells that he's been collecting in his hands. "I-I saw a tail up ahead." He pointed his finger to the ocean's horizon.

Cecelia narrowed her eyes to where he pointed, but she saw nothing whatsoever. She shrugged. "It was probably a dolphin or a whale."

Thomas bent down and picked up a clam, shoving it in his pocket. "Are whales scary, Cece?" He looked up at her with those big, dark, green eyes of his.

Cecelia giggled, taking his hand in hers. "Well, if you see one, just try not to make it angry."

"I won't!" He smiled, pressing a seashell to his ear and listening carefully. "Cecelia! I can hear the sound of the ocean!"

She glanced at him, lovingly. "That's great."

"Not as great as the bright, blue tail I saw!" he teased, racing her back home.

Cecelia rubbed her hands together as a chilly breeze blew her hair to the side. Bright, blue tail? She wondered, not remembering ever seeing a whale or a dolphin around here before. It must have been something big since Thomas was able to see it from here. She sighed and followed her brother home.

"Where have you been you two?" Jim yelled, furious.

Cecelia gulped. "I had my earphones on an-and Thomas was in the bathroom." She lied, and Thomas looked up at her skeptically. What a good influence am I, Ugh.

Jim eyed her intently. "Is that so?"

Just as Cecelia was about to speak, a knock on the door was heard. "I'll get it!" She said, wanting to get away from her dad's questioning. Opening the door, her mom and grandma were in sight.

"Mama!" Thomas squealed, running towards his mom with open arms.

"I miss you so much," Their mother, Rosie, said as she hugged both of them affectionately.

"We missed you two!" Cecelia and Thomas both said at the same time.

"I'm right over here!" Their grandma, Lisa, said, placing her hands on her hips.

Thomas giggled as he gave her a hug, while Jim gave his wife a kiss on the cheek. "How was your trip?"

"It was good. I'm just glad I'm back!" She smiled warmly at him.

They all sat at the table, chatting with each other, and enjoying each other's company. Grandma Lisa leaned in and whispered in Cecelia's ear. "This is for you," She placed a book on her lap.

Cecelia looked down at it, her blue eyes widening. "The Merman?" She puckered her brow as she read the title.

Lisa smiled, her eyes wrinkling. "I have so much to tell you, Cecelia."

She sighed deeply and rolled her eyes, here we go again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

HEY GUYS! THIS WAS MORE OF A FILLER CHAPTER, BUT I HOPE YOU LIKED IT. HANG ON, LOTS OF INTERESTING THINGS ARE GONNA HAPPEN LATER XX