The Reëmergence of a Scarlet Woman by porcupinestrongwill

[ SONG ] Sarah

[ ARTIST ] Porcupine Strongwill

[ TEAM ] Hope

[ WATTPAD WORD COUNT ] 2,500 words

"No-one else would do... He was her Right Man." - The Colonel, 1970

***

The story goes He found me in the Ruins of Kena'ani. Born of an Emori and of a Hitti, I had been left in the open fields to wail and wallow in my own fresh blood, my umbilical cord coiled around my left foot. I was neither washed with water nor swathed in any cloth; much less was my skin rubbed with salt. He heard my cry as he was passing by; searched for me, and found me; took pity on me- a newborn female bastard- when no-one else would, and dismounted His horse to draw out His sword. As He pointed it towards me, His knights thought He would finally end my suffering, but instead He declared, in a voice that echoed throughout Kena'ani, "Live!" before sheathing the blade, and riding His horse away.

It was an order; so I was brought to a poor, old widow, who nursed me for six years. But then she died, and I was once more left alone in the shelter of the Ruins. Soon I was eating scraps and drinking muck. I slept through wintry nights without any fire. But though it was difficult, my heart beat, my lungs respired; and I became the Blossom of the Ruins. My hair grew long, my breasts swelled. I ran through the dead fields, naked, exposed.

This I remember with my own memory: One day He passed by again and appeared before me. I froze, watching the tall figure pull me towards Him so He could cover me with His skirt and carry me up His snow-white horse. We then traveled to His land, where, from the moment we arrived, He proclaimed that I, the unwanted daughter of a mistress, was His.

For decades since the King had inherited the throne, there had been no queen; thusly, the whole nation was bewildered when such a horrible sight (that was me) was chosen as the bride. Not a breath of opposition transpired from the end of the people, though. I was washed and anointed with His oil and scent, and fed only with the region's finest flour and honey. I wore only gowns of silk and fine linen. My feet were covered in leather sandals. My body was decked with diamonds and silver. My nose donned a ring, my head a gold tiara. I turned out to be eminently beautiful after all- the very crown of the King.

Much did He show that He loved me; and I must say I was madly in love with Him. Deep into the night we would copulate as if it were our last. I was a lock, He was the key; He pried me open well and wide and wonderfully. It should have been a perfect fairy-tale.

But here I am again: naked, lost, exposed. No-one dare touch me. No-one dare pity me.

***

He made our marriage almost impeccable. There was seldom any moment of disagreement. If there was, it was I who first broached, and it would be immediately resolved, ending with His gentle kiss on my forehead- a reminder that He was, without exception, the One right or practical. The elders said His patient study of the Scriptures gave Him superb judgment. Envy kindled within me at times, but I learned to live with His wisdom as we raised a family.