Of Choices and Consequences by EphemeralFirefly

[ SONG ] Unfaithful

[ ARTIST ] Rihanna

[ TEAM ] Mikel

[ WATTPAD WORD COUNT ] 2,498 words

As if the heavens knew of his mourning, cold rain fell down the darkened sky as another life breathed her last.

However, her story was so entangled with his that it cannot be told without the other... for she, too, had loved and lost.

***

"It is what needs to be done, Your Majesty," Adlai, Head of the Royal Council, told his king.

"Sire, the physician confirmed that the queen cannot bear a child," reminded another member.

"If there were no rumors of war, My Lord, then we wouldn't ask you of this but -"

"My answer remains unchanged," the King replied, his voice overpowering those of his men.

"But Sire -"

"ENOUGH!" It was enough to silence them. "Let this be the last I tell you my answer," he warned. "I will not disgrace my wife by allowing another woman to share my bed." And with one small gesture, he dismissed them.

As soon as the last man left, he released a breath he did not know he was holding. Never in his life did he seek solitude but ever since the physician gave his findings, the Council urged him to marry once again. He knew they had good intentions but -

"That was quite a spectacle," said a soft voice. From the entrance of the room, a young woman stepped in and despite her quiet rebuke, a small smile graced her lips and the simple sight of it calmed him so.

"You saw all that?"

"Heard, rather. You spoke quite loudly," she confirmed.

Like a child, he groaned and hid his face beneath his arms in embarrassment. The Queen only laughed as she closed the distance between them.

"What bothers you, love?" she asked softly, her small hand gently holding his. She saw the reluctance on his face. "Tell me."

Looking down, he whispered, "They are asking me to marry another woman." He hated telling her these things but what would he gain from hiding them?