More Than First Thought

Piper's POV:

~*~*~*~*~

I stride through the hallway with my backpack slung over my left shoulder and my books held securely in my right arm.

Today, I feel a sense of security. I don't know why. Maybe it's the fact that Harry has been texting me quite a bit and we've grown closer, maybe it's the fact that I actually have people who like me for me, but it's most likely the fact that someone actually knows about Owen.

After six whole years of being so alone. Of having no one who understood, this is a huge change for me.

Zayn is probably the most understanding out of the guys- next to Harry that is.

Zayn and I share this bond. We've become great friends over the last few weeks. Ever since him learning about Owen, he's been much more understanding and protective about me. I even grew a friendship with his girlfriend, Perrie. She's a lovely girl. Beautiful, silly, smart, and perfect for Zayn.

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be as happy with anyone as Zayn is with Perrie.

But then again, I'm not like Perrie.

Perrie has confessed to having insecurities of course, but not as severely as I do.

I envy that. I want to feel beautiful. I want to feel smart. I want to feel wanted. I need to feel needed.

Harry and I have grown closer too. He's a great guy. He may have come off a bit flirty and cheeky when I first met him, but he's really a sensitive sweetheart.

Liam is like a brother to me. He's smart, silly, innocent, sweet, and everything Owen was. He and I don't talk much but when we do, it's always silly and pleasant.

Niall is extremely bubbly and happy. He has this contagious laugh that just makes you want to laugh along. Everything he does puts a smile on someone's face. Since I've been opening up more and have been more willing to talk, he's been very gentle and kind with me. He loves a good banter, and for the first time in my life, I have realized that I enjoy being sarcastic. It's quite nice, actually. He does something stupid and I tease him. We talk every now and then but not as frequently as I'd like.

I even formed a bond with Louis. The Doncaster boy has finally learned that I don't appreciate his loud personality. So he tones it down a bit whenever he's around me. Not to the point where he's not himself, but just so that I'm not uncomfortable either.

As I turn around a corner to get to my locker, a figure in pink swoops out of no where and slams me into the nearest bank of lockers. My supplies fly everywhere. I hasten to pick up my books before looking up to face none other than- Chelsea.

"Watch where you're going!" The light brunette hisses with a smirk playing on her overly pink lips.

I look down to the ground and pick up my supplies before standing up to meet the She-Devil face-to-face.

"Not going to defend yourself?" Chelsea taunts, her smirk growing wider as a crowd begins to form around us.

"I- I-" I stutter to talk. I'm frozen on the spot. Why is it that the second I'm feeling better, someone has to ruin it?

"Didn't think so." Chelsea snaps, gloatingly. Right as she turns around to strut away, I shock not only her, not only everyone around, but also myself.

"Hey, Chelsea." I say in a startlingly firm voice.

Everyone's eyes flash over to my direction. I can tell that probably half these kids haven't ever even heard my voice.

Chelsea freezes in her pink pumps for a moment. How long it's been since I've spoken to her directly, actually making eye contact, I don't know. She pivots slowly to face me, not bothering to hide her surprise.