Chapter 23

Trigger warnings: Some violence, consent.

Bryan:

Morning light had finally begun breaking through the darkness, but there was an ominous feel to it as the rain continued to fall and a low fog had settled on the ground.

Neither Nathan nor Ben spoke as they crept toward their destination. Nathan's heart hammered violently and his body ached from the abuse he had suffered.

On the path before them, a deer cantered out of the trees and stopped. The two young scouts stood staring at it, it's large antlers glistening with rain as it spotted the naked men and bowed it's head gracefully.

Something about the sight before them made Nathan even more determined to finish this. It was as though the deer was a symbol. A symbol of hope perhaps, or a symbol of revenge.

They continued as the deer disappeared into the trees until finally Ben took Nathan's arm.

"Are you sure about this, Nathan?" He asked seriously, his face etched with worry "if Bryan does what Radek did, I... I'm not like Rory. I can't..."

"Relax" Nathan whispered, placing his hand against Ben's wet cheek "everything will be fine".

They quietly walked the rest of the way until they stood just outside of the camp, peering through the leaves and watching.

Teddy was sitting at the campfire. He looked unusually fresh for someone who had apparently been hunting all night. In his hand he held a stick, a dead rabbit punctured on the end as he revolved it over the fire.

"Fucker" Ben whispered.

As the two scouts glared at Teddy, a rustling on the other side caught all of their attention.

Bryan pushed through the trees wearing only a pair of shorts. His eyes were narrow and predatory, his torso muddied and wet.

"Still no sign of the others" he growled, stomping toward Teddy and pulling the entire rabbit from the stick.

"T... They'll show up" Teddy stuttered "I know them, they won't run".

"You better hope you're right" he snarled "this was your fucking idea".

Teddy's demeanour had changed rapidly as he now sat there shaking whilst Bryan circled him, ripping through the rabbit's flesh and muscle like a bear.

"Did you finish digging the hole?" Teddy asked, breaking the building tension.

"Yes" Bryan grunted

"Good, we can't leave any trace".

Nathan felt a horrid sensation run through him as he considered what the hole might be for.

"I want to watch" the ex-scout said sternly "when you get him, I want to watch"

Bryan stared at him for a moment before nodding.

The rain became heavier again, extinguishing the fire almost instantly as the dull morning light began to fade into an eerie kind of illuminance. Teddy ran into the tent and Nathan felt a gentle squeeze on his shoulder and Ben disappeared. It was time.

Nathan remembered the first time he'd ever laid eyes on Bryan. He didn't look as menacing back then despite the punch that he'd thrown, but the years hadn't been kind to him. He looked angry. Not at Nathan, not at Teddy, just at life.

Nathan stepped from the trees and into the camp. He walked slowly, purposefully. It took Bryan a moment to hear the wet footsteps until finally he turned around and just watched.