Episode 07: Learning to be Friendly with People (Part 1/2)

While having dinner with the family, the mischievous kid couldn't stop asking him about his own affairs. Gun was tired of being questioned at the dinner table. No... He would rather call the plate placed on the tiled floor more interesting. At first, his sister was supposed to cook rice, but Cher probably wanted to tease her by making her lose face in front of the adults. The kif then said, "Boss wants more sticky rice."

Gun is a sophisticated person, but he never imagined that one day he'd didn't reach the point of not eating som tam and sticky rice ever. Of course, Cher had seen him eat in front of him before, but he always used a fork to pick up the food instead of using his hands like this family did.

Dipping into the nam prik pla ra, one person could take everything into their mouth with just one bite. Slowly eating was allowed. No one rushing anyone.

Cher smiled softly, enjoying the fact that he made him blush because of the atmosphere during dinner. But it was just a moment, and that was the only time Gun would let himself feel uncomfortable. The people who could survive in society were those who could adapt, and he was that kind of person.

Grandma kept asking if Cher didn't behave well during his internship. She wanted to know how to warn him. As long as She didn't make her grandson's life difficult by being nosy, Cher could handle it. She had fixed herself by apologizing. She told me that this kid from the village was smart and might even  have secretly downloaded adult films onto the company computer.

Gun didn't know if that could be called laughter for someone living a stressful life and rarely creating smiles for others. The young man was quite surprised and felt a pang in his left chest. It grew because of the warmth from the people around him.

After finishing dinner, the kid took him out on a motorcycle ride to a fresh milk shop. Gun wasn't someone who liked sweets, but watching the mischievous kid enjoy everything that was put in front of him was delightful. It's hard to explain, but there seemed to be a black hole in his stomach. No matter how much he ate, he never felt full.

They sat there for nearly an hour, and in the end, all that was left was a cold milk tea with tapioca pearls in his right hand. Gun didn't drink it; not even asking the shop owner to pack it for the journey home, as requested by the boy when it came to food, this kid simply touched his belly and claimed he would order, discard, or toss anything he wanted because he was the one paying.

*

The people here go to bed very early compared to Bangkok. By 3 a.m., it's so quiet that it feels like a deserted town, creating an eerie atmosphere. Gun tosses and turns because of the discomfort. He doesn't like being in a hot place because it gives him headaches, and even with a single fan, it doesn't help much. His tall, slender figure gets up from the hard wooden sofa, causing soreness tin his back.

With long strides, he walks out and sits on the front porch to breathe in the fresh air. He takes a deep breath before taking off his shirt, knowing that he will probably go back in for another shower soon.

He looks up at the starless sky, and he doesn't appreciate its beauty like someone in love would. Actually, there's nothing significant at the moment for Gun in this heat. He begins to foresee that he'll have to endure and suffer until morning, and sleep is unlikely to come.

He picks up his phone and opens it, browsing aimlessly. Everything seems boring because all he can think about is why he ended up sitting here with a headache, when he should have received care from the homeowner's son. By now, the son is probably sound asleep, having successfully made Gun uncomfortable.

"Just a little more and it will be two months. Don't cry if I finish my internship," he mutters accidentally."

Gun turned around to face the newcomer. He didn't smile, but he couldn't deny that he was glad to see the kid. The kid came out with two pillows and some thin blankets, along with another piece of cloth.