Chapter Four

My phone rings. One. Two.Three.

I waited if it will continue to ring.

Four.Five.Six.

I picked it up. I knew who's calling.

"Hello," I said.

"Serena..." the voice from the other end said. His voice was sad, but there was relief.

"Happy birthday.."I said to him. That's why he was calling right? He wants me to greet him- so he knows I didn't forget.

"Thanks,Serena..but...that's not why I called.."Garrett said.

Garrett...I thought I won't hear his voice anymore. But there he was.

I cleared my throat before I answered.

"Why then- why did you call me?"I asked, trying to contain my emotions. I can't let him affect me this way.

"L-lo...Serena, I..I am sorry for what you saw-it wasn't what you think it was.." he explains.

Yada yada yada..I thought.

I am tired of hearing his excuses.

I can't tell which one is true, which one is not.

"You don't have to explain. We were over, Garrett.." I said firmly.

"That's what you think Serena..but is that how you feel? About us?" he asked, waiting for me to answer. I won't give him the satisfaction of being happy.

"Yes. That's exactly how I feel Garrett..now if you'll let me go...I have a shoot to finish...bye.."  she said, then clutching the phone on her chest after she clicked the end button.

ON THE OTHER LINE.

"Goddamnit!" Garrett cursed! He threw the phone on the sand. He just wanted to hear her voice. He thought she wouldn't answer.

He shouldn't have called. Now he felt crushed.

Her words echoed , We were over, Garrett.

Did she really say that?

Did she really mean it?

He clutched his hair and let out a loud growl.

In pain.

He let himself go and cried.

Men can cry, too.

And he doesn't care what his friends think.

His chest is exploding with so much pain. 

He closed his eyes, in his blurry vision he saw Serena- running away from him. Permanently.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH...

He yelled.

His brother Cody ran towards him, worried look in his face. Morena followed him and then the others. Soon they were surrounding him, he was trembling. His eyes shut.

"Bro, are you okay? What was that about?" Cody asked.

I didn't answer. What will I say.

Then I heard Morena's voice, she was so close to me- "Garrett...it's alright...come here, hush now.." she said. And then I felt her arms cradling my head. And I just kept crying. Finding comfort with her warmth.

Cody tapped my shoulders as I looked up. Wiping the tears away.

I pulled away from Morena and thanked her.

Then I stood up.

"I- I have to go to my room guys, I am sorry. You go ahead and enjoy. I just need some time alone.." I said, forcing myself to walk, my knees are weak. I felt falling back down but I tried to be strong. I need to be alone.

I just want to be alone.

The pain is cutting through.

The truth of losing Serena is sinking in.

I thought we agreed this was temporary.

Why do I feel like she is giving up on us?

I managed to reach my room and quickly dropped myself on the bed. 

I took one pillow and hid my face on it.

Then I cried some more.