chapter eighteen.

Your gaze swept the empty bedroom, foggy memories playing within its confines. Bedtime stories with your father, playing dolls with your mom, everything was slowly fading, being replaced with nostalgia. Your heart ached as you softly sighed, sealing another box.

You were moving out of your family's house.

Of course, you knew it had to happen. You'd graduated so long ago now, and your insistence to stay at home just a little bit longer would no longer suffice. You had to spread your wings and fly off to the next adventure, even if it pained you. Calico had moved just last year after Nittany passed on, no longer having any reason to stay. The loss of her best friend and the aftermath hurt you just as much, as you'd known that dog for so long.

He was in your backyard, covered with wildflowers, enjoying his slumber. You were thankful that it was painless and easy; it was in his sleep after all.

You thickly swallowed as you closed your balcony doors, trying to ignore the tears threatening to spill. You really were leaving all of your old memories for something greater. Your parents were forced to sell the restaurant to the town, to make room for more developments. It was beyond infuriating when the sale was forced to close. 

You had no reason to stay in town now. You could go anywhere.

"Charlie," you called over your shoulder, "I don't think I can do this."

Charlie peered out from the next room, arms full of sheets, "what is it, Y/N?"

"I can't just leave," you muttered, "I don't want to leave... This is home."

"Darling, we'll make a new home," he said softly, setting the sheets down and enveloping you in a tight hug, "I know, moving is incredibly difficult. I understand it all too well."

"I'm leaving too many memories, I don't want to leave-"

"Y/N," he rose a brow, "memories will travel with you. New ones will be made, but cherish the ones that will always be with you."

He let you go, taking the sheets downstairs to your parents. The house had to be sold, so they could move back overseas to England. They officially retired, and with your's and Charlie's help from the YouTube money, they could live comfortably for the rest of their days. Your coastal channel took off, and once you ended the content stream for that, you decided to take up cooking and foraging instead. 

Everything was coming up Aces, mostly.

"I know they'll be with me," you huffed, wiping your eyes before carrying the sealed box downstairs, "but it still sucks. I thought I'd be here in Manteo for forever, darling, I wanted to stay here..."

Charlie glanced to you over his shoulder, taking the box and packing it into the U-Haul. He could tell you were hurting, but he didn't know how to help you. He'd moved a couple times, but only to a different house in a different part of town. He'd never moved across states until he was a fully-fledged adult. 

"I just hope that the place will be nice," you admitted, stacking more boxes and making sure they were labelled, "I dunno why it wouldn't be, but I guess I'm nervous since it's an older house, yaknow?"

"I know," he said lightly, "but, we'll fix it up to our standards, and it'll be perfect for us. No reason to leave it until we retire, yknow?"

"You're right," you smiled weakly, "I shouldn't doubt this so much. I guess it's only human."

The two of you gazed to the half-full truck, stuffed with your belongings. The realtor company that bought the house bought it with the furniture and appliances, and the money was split between you and your parents. You were thankful that you'd be starting your life with more than enough in case of emergencies.

"Right, I think we're all good now," Charlie said, "I'll go say farewell to your parents, if you want to go say goodbye to Nittany for us."

You bit your lip, realizing that you weren't keeping your promise to Calico.

"Y/N, please take care of him for me, I can't anymore."

"I'll keep him safe Cal, I promise."

Shaking your head, you opened the gate to the backyard for the final time, gazing to the little spot. You picked up his Sun-bleached blue collar, and clipped it to a loop on your shoulders. You knew Calico would want it.

"Protect this house for us," you said softly, taking a deep breath, "okay, bud? Thank you for everything."

A seabreeze blew through your hair as you silently left the backyard, heading into the house for one of the last times. Seeing it so clean and organized was foreign, you were used to chaos. The walls were stripped of all of the family pictures, the floral blankets that your mom adored were boxed and shipped overseas, the fridge was bare of magnets and childhood art... It hurt.

It hurt so bad.

"Y/N?" Your mom asked softly, noticing your face, "it'll all be okay. Really."

"I don't want to leave."

"I know, my love," she said, hugging you just as tight, "but this all happens for a reason. Your dad and I will be just fine. Please don't worry about us."

"I'm not worried," you sighed, holding onto your mom, "I just don't feel ready. At all."

"Darling," she smiled to you, "you have grown up and matured perfectly. Your father and I have done a wonderful job, and we are so so proud of all of your achievements. Nothing will change that."

"Don't make me cry," you sniffled, frantically wiping your eyes, "please-"

Your dad snuck up on you, giving you a tight squeeze, "kiddo, we're so so proud of you. Thank you for taking care of us."

"Daad-"

"Phil, you'll suffocate them," your mom scolded, "be gentle-"

"It'll be alright, Kristin," he grinned to her gently, "but if you insist."

He let you go, chuckling as you caught your breath. You knew you'd miss your parents and the comfort and love in the air. Even after so long, your parents still were stupidly in love, and it gave you hope. You wanted the same that they had, and you'd found it in Charlie.

"Now go, be gone, we have to catch our flight," your mom said teasingly, "we'll call when we land. Promise."

You slowly nodded, giving your parents both a super tight squeeze. Once your father released you, you made your way to the car, buckling in.

"Ready for our next adventure?"

"Yes, I am. It'll be okay," you looked up to him, putting your sunglasses on, "because you're with me, my daydream."