chapter two.

Sighing to yourself as you pulled your apron off, you studied the receipt some more. You had no clue why anyone would choose to give you their number, vacations only tend to last a week. There wasn't any time for a Summer fling akin to Grease, but even then... That wasn't your thing.

You noticed how your feet seemed to have a mind of their own at this moment, and they took you right next door to Natural Selections. Your intuition seemed to know that you should ask your good friend about this situation. 

"Hello, welcome to- Oh, Y/N, what's up? You look troubled," she chirped lightly as she walked around the front counter, leading you to some couches in a little book nook, "talk to me. Hang on- Austin! I'm taking my thirty!"

You heard Austin yell an "okay" from another room, and sighed, getting comfortable in the chair. You winced as the material stuck to your skin, but once the slight sting went away, it was comfortable again. Calico sat across from you, clearly intent on listening to your tale.

"Alright, spill. What's up?"

"Some dude put his number on my receipt."

Calico rose a brow as she listened, reaching to the underside of the table for her signature tarot deck. It was an elegant moon and stars theme, which fit her true personality perfectly, "alright? Was he cute?"

"That's the problem," you groaned as she started shuffling the deck, "I don't know who it was. I see so many faces every day, and this was a table of three. The only one who looked different was some dude with a fake New York accent and mutton chops."

"Mutton chops?" your friend echoed with a laugh, "is this the eighteen-hundreds again? Well, probably, with how the government is going... Anyway, do you want me to consult the deck?"

You silently nodded, watching as she pulled out three cards and leaving them back-side up. While you personally weren't the biggest believer in everything Calico was, sometimes it helped to just see what a more divine answer could be. Inside, you knew it was a bunch of hoo-ha, but it didn't matter in this moment. Calico was, after all, trying to soothe your nerves and confusion.

"Alright, first we have," she began dramatically, flipping the first card over, "The Stars! Interesting."

You rose a brow, "what, pray tell, does that mean?"

"Since it's upright, the basic meanings are hope, faith, purpose, renewal, and spirituality," she answered, gazing to the card and pondering it for a moment, "you'll enter a peaceful, loving phase of life. It'll be filled with calm energy and stability, as well as significant personal growth."

You thought for a moment, pondering the card's meanings as well. Your focus snapped back to reality as Calico flipped the second card, the Empress.

Two Major Arcana cards? What is going on here?

"The Empress is next, and she is also upright! Traditionally, she's the sign of a new opportunity, as well as stability. She can represent the creation of life, romance, art, or a new business," Calico said with a small chuckle, "please don't create a mini Y/N, though."

"Not planning on it," you chuckled as well, "but two Major Arcanas? What is going on?"

"No clue," Calico answered with a smile as the door behind you opened, "welcome in! I'll be with you three in a minute, feel free to browse!"

You glanced over your shoulder for a moment, and focused back onto Calico as she pulled the final card, Queen of Pentacles.

"Queen of Pentacles suggests you'll receive what your heart desires," she spoke, hurrying along now since there were potential customers, "ask yourself what you can do to support those who support you, as it represents prosperity and security. Based on the cards I have, you will most likely find a new love this Summer."

You watched as she stood up to leave you with the cards, letting you think them over. The voices from behind you sounded familiar, so you snapped a picture of the cards on your phone and put them away, not wanting anyone to see your results. For once, you decided to claim the meanings and welcome them into your life; you might even get a small piece of rose quartz as well.

"Well, if you're just looking for gifts," Calico said to the tallest man, leading him to the shelf of books and tarot decks, "these might work. I personally connect with the Moon and Stars deck, but we have plenty of options, obviously."

You recognized him immediately, he was one of the guests from the receipt with the phone number on it. You then recognized the other two, and took a deep breath, standing from your spot, going to look at the crystals. You were joined by one of the other patrons, and you looked up, making nervous eye-contact.

"Do you know anything about crystals?" he asked, studying some howlite, "I'd love to learn, I think they're a cool thing to collect."

"Sorry, but I don't," you apologized awkwardly, "I don't work here, I work next door... I think you were at one of my tables?"

He looked to you, and his eyes glowed with recognition. He was very cute at first sight, and you paused for a second, not wanting to override your internal logic. It was evident that under the calmer exterior, he was a goofy individual. 

"Ohh, yeah! I left my number on the receipt, I hope that was alright," he grinned, "I'm Charlie. Ted is talking to the worker here, and Schlatt's... Schlatt, stop messing with the dick crystals!"

You looked to where the named Schlatt was standing, and he was playing with the phallic-shaped crystals. You didn't know what the anatomically correct crystals were for, so you'd figure that you'd ask Calico later.

"Nice to meet the mystery phone number, and to know that he isn't a creepy old guy," you hummed as you studied a piece of raw rose quartz now, "I'm Y/N, obviously. I work at Reverie next door, it's run by my parents."

Charlie started looking at the rose quartz with you, "it's nice to meet you off the clock. I was wondering if you'd want to hang out sometime?"

"Sorry, I don't date tourists," you answered bluntly, "I don't want to deal with heartbreak."

"If it helps," he grinned, "I'm here all Summer."

You thought for a moment, deciding to return the cheeky grin. If he's here all Summer, that lets things move slower and at a more natural pace. Why not stick with it? Give it a shot? You thought back to your card pulls, which were screaming at you to try it by this point.

"Alright. What time are you free, Charlie? We can rent, well, you can rent, a bike and we can go around the island," you offered.

"I'm free now," he answered, "and there's a bike store across the street."

A new set of excited feelings overwhelmed your chest and stomach, leaving you with a light buzz. You glanced to Calico, sighing at her smug smile and eyebrow wiggle. You wouldn't let her teasing ruin something potentially beautiful.

"Go rent a bike and meet me back here," you said, "I'll wait for you."